How does the hawk actually kill a chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DaddyChicken, Nov 17, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Last Sunday afternoon a hawk killed one of our Barred Rocks. The chickens were free ranging in our back yard and we were preoccupied with our neighbors. When it was all over there was a patch of feathers in the corner of the back yard, then a patch about 20 feet away and then another 20 feet from there the hawk was either standing on or beside the dead hen. I was so P.O.'ed it's just a blur. There was no blood only a bare spot where the feathers had been plucked from the breast area.

I'm just wondering how the hawk killed her.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Either by impact or by puncture.. They hit like a ton of bricks an those tallons can go pretty deep!

3. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    I wish I had looked closer but I was pretty upset.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My killed little Polish pullet was missing her head, and her abdomen was ripped open. So I'm really hoping that they snap their neck and not let them suffer.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    With very small prey items, impact / puncture as indicated. With larger prey items the hawk usually has to resort to ripping at throat or cervical dis-location. Former option can be an unpleasant affair to witness.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Cooper's hawks tend to squeeze or crush their prey. Falcons bite their prey behind the head.

7. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    I had a hawk land on my gate to the coop. Then the tree above. Thank goodness for the cover...Not much foliage to hide behind. Between the cats and the hawks I'm on my toes...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by