How does these look so far?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xfilesnumber1fan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    We have a new pen set-up for the ducks and this is what is done so far...Its 10x10x6 has chicken wire welded to the top so nothing can get in or out we tarped the top off for rain and less sun...We put the pool on a pallet and installed a drain and hose so it drains the water out and down the hill so no messy straw mud cage...We havent built or bought some type of shelter/nesting box Does anyone have ideas on that??? I really want them to lay and hatch me some babies..What would be best? Thanks
    I will get more pics later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    That is a nice set up , I need to do something different with mine. It stays such a mess.

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    That's very nice! Are those call ducks? They are really cute ducks.

Great idea on the pallet. How did you install the drain?

4. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Great so far! I like how you have ducks on the pool design. Was this planned? LOL

5. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Looks good! I use pine shaving as bedding, it absorbs the mess better then straw, helps with the smell to, if it gets to messy, I add more shaving a couple times before cleaning it out and sending it to the compost pile! Save on always have to clean it every couple days.
    They look happy!

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I want to warn you about something that I just went through. I had two of my Pekins inside the exact same kennel that you have yours in. I thought they were secure. Over the top we had put hardware cloth so hawks couldn't get inside.

Well, a neighborhood dog was able to get between the frame of the gate and the chain link and got in after my ducks. I was only feet away and he never got my ducks but I will NEVER use that dog kennel again for my ducks!!

The chain link would have to be tied down every second or third link, I believe for it to be safe. And even then, I don't know if I would trust it. The dog was able to push, with his nose, the chain link right up and get inside. The chain link was all crinkled and stretched out.

Please be careful!! I'd hate to see you lose your ducks like I almost lost mine!!!

Laurie

7. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Where to get the pine shavings at the best price?

8. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:My husband bought a drain system for a bath tub at Lowes he cut a hole in the pool and installed it ran drain pipe under the pallet and then we attach a long hose that comes out the back of the cage and the water runs down hill....I would take a pic but cant see under the pallet enough to get one...

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

they're 'quackin' me up.... [​IMG]

I know I need to stop... LOL

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:3 are mallards ,1 is crested mix of something!! the other white /grayish wings black beck and orange feet??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by