How does this combination of breeds sound?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by J. Ruth, Nov 27, 2011.

1. J. Ruth

J. Ruth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    I was thinking about keeping a combination of Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, and Wellsummers. I would only be keeping them for meat and eggs. But, I hope to replace them without ordering more chicks from hatcheries. I was also planning to house them all together. I was wondering if there were any specific disadvantages of keeping this combination of breeds. I was also wondering if there would be any breeding disadvantages because they would most likely be cross-breeding. Thank you. I would appreciate any advice. [​IMG]

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I think people keep all kinds of chickens together. They normally get along fine, as long as you give them a coop that is big enough, and there is not a great difference in their ages. I don't know about cross breeding them, but it will probably be ok as long as you are not trying to sell them as a particular breed. It won't make any difference in the quality of the eggs, for eating. This site has a wealth of good information, yours for the taking. Use the search function--the google custom search function in the upper right-hand area, to researach any chicken related topic. Have fun, and [​IMG]

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Be sure the roo you choose is one that is not to big for your smaller hens. I had that problem once. If you keep two roos you could have two seperate pens that join but are devided. Gloria Jean

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That will make a nice mixed flock, and the offspring will be pretty and great layers, too. Hatchery stock may be a bit light for a good meat bird, it just depends on your expectations.

5. J. Ruth

J. Ruth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Thank you! I appreciate the advice. [​IMG]

6. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    You will get good hybrid vigor in the crosses, and better egg production.

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I think OP will be okay, I think those are dual purpose breeds, though I do not know about welsummers...of the only two I ever had, one died before it reached 1 week, and the other turned out to be a rooster.

To me, that sounds like it would be a beautiful mix of birds. All of those breeds are birds that are right up my alley. I have a speckled sussex, and she is quite a character. I also have wyandottes and orpingtons, both of which I LOVE. Sounds like a GREAT flock mix to me! I don't think there would be any disadvantages of keeping a mixed flock of those breeds. I have three of the four breeds you mentioned in my flock currently, and they do wonderful together.

8. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

J. Ruth :

I was thinking about keeping a combination of Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, and Wellsummers. I would only be keeping them for meat and eggs. But, I hope to replace them without ordering more chicks from hatcheries. I was also planning to house them all together. I was wondering if there were any specific disadvantages of keeping this combination of breeds. I was also wondering if there would be any breeding disadvantages because they would most likely be cross-breeding. Thank you. I would appreciate any advice. [​IMG]

Differing breeds do fine IF they are raised together from (preferably) young chicks. I've tried mixing in Speckled Sussexes as adults with my BR & PR and the BR HATE them, only have one left now. I have to deliver her to the coop every night.

As far as breeding, as long as you are prepared to deal with chicken mutts, wanted or unwanted, there isn't much else to worry about. Death genes I guess, but I don't know much about those.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by