How does this effect egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WA23, Dec 4, 2008.

1. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    The light in my coop comes on at 3:00 am and turns off @ 9:00 am. It is still pitch black until about 8:00-8:30 am. The last few nights I have forgotten to close the coop door, so the birds have free range to the run.
    Each morning I check on them before I leave for work @ 5:00 and have discovered that those crazy chickens leave their lighted coop to go stand in the dark until the sun comes up. So I am guessing that from 3:30ish to @ 8:30ish they are without light (by choice).

I have not seen a change in egg production yet, but I only have two out of the 8 that are laying. The rest have not started yet. If this happens too often, will it mess up their egg laying clock.

2. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    My light comes on at 6a and goes off at 8a and I usually open the coop around 6:30a. Even though it's not light out until about 7:30a, about half of the girls still go stand outside in the dark (unless it's snowing).

I also have the light on from 4p-6p in the evening. The girls are still laying 18-21 eggs a day, but that is down from the 21-26 they were doing before it got soooo cold.

Thats all I know [​IMG]

3. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I vaguely remember an old cartoon where one of the characters says, "TURN OUT THAT LIGHT" I can just hear your chickens saying that. lol [​IMG] Sorry, I know I wasn't any help, but that was a funny thought.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State

5. MissDollie

MissDollie New Egg

Aug 15, 2008
    My chicks turned 4 months old Monday. It is cold here, really not expecting eggs yet. But my rooster has just started crowing. Felt this may be leading up to eggs. A few of the girls combs are bright red. We will see.[​IMG] I have been leaving a light on 24 hrs. During the day they go outside even in this nasty stuff. Wondered if any one thought different. It was 19 degrees last night.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    My hens wake up at 3:30 when the light goes on and the clock radio begins playing "I Got You, Babe" by Sonny and Cher. (Only kidding.)

They don't venture out the pop door though until it is light outside, around 7 or so.

Wayne

7. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Sorry to bring this to the top again. No offence intended, but none of the responses till now address my question. Does anyone not have experience with this situation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by