how does this happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haTHOR, Jan 26, 2010.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    it's almost like a strange hen is coming in to lay! [​IMG] i know that can't be true.

BUT.

my hens hadn't laid in MONTHS, until yesterday. i have four. two brown leghorns (distinct, medium, white/cream eggs); a gold laced wyandotte (large light brown egg, at least in the past); and a red sex link (who had never laid before despite coming to maturity in the height of summer, but from whom we expected a very large brown egg).

yesterday there were two leghorn eggs and a HUGE white egg. what in the world?

here is a pic of the GLW and the RSL. (yes, we noticed the GLW's feet bleeding today for the first time [​IMG] and just treated all the chickens for scaly leg mites, if you wondered.)
    [​IMG]
    and one from the back
    [​IMG]

here's the question...how could this happen? is she not a RSL? do they sometimes lay a white egg? i don't think the GLW could lay an egg this big or this color...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet she has white egg layer genes in the mix... her legs are not the bright yellow that you'd expect a RSL who has never laid to be.

3. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    that would make so much sense. i bought her (Pearl) and her "sister" (Ruby) from a local chicken lady as red stars...but lo and behold Ruby turned out to be "Roo-be" if you get my drift. if they weren't "pure" RSL hybrids, there is more of a chance he wouldn't have had sex-link coloring at birth, right?

i am gonna take this thread over to the what's this breed, forum, i guess! seems i have more questions now!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My wyandottes lay large cream to beige colored eggs

5. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    yeah, my glw lays a light brown. this was white, white, whiter than my leghorns'...no tint at all. like it came from the store!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by