How does this happen?

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
I recently pulled out an egg from one of my red sex links. Now, they lay brown eggs in a few different shades, but something was different about this one. On the top of the shell is a blue streak! And I mean BLUE, not a kind of blueish color. Is that normal for a brown egg layer to have blue in their shell?

Awesome! Would love to see a photo of it!

That's all we chicken lovers need is a breed of chickens that lay blue striped eggs!
big_smile.png

My apologies, I will when I have access to a computer as my phone won't let me post photos. It's not super exciting to be honest, it almost looks like someone took a blue crayon and drew a thin line about 1 inch long.

I recently pulled out an egg from one of my red sex links. Now, they lay brown eggs in a few different shades, but something was different about this one. On the top of the shell is a blue streak! And I mean BLUE, not a kind of blueish color. Is that normal for a brown egg layer to have blue in their shell?
Maybe because you pulled it out?? ;O/

(kidding)

I had brown layers that laid spots on one or two occasions:

You can see that the one with the pen has some blue pigment (these were from hatchery Barred Plymouth Rocks) -- Sometimes chickens have irregularities in their pigment.

Last edited:
Maybe because you pulled it out?? ;O/ (kidding) I had brown layers that laid spots on one or two occasions: You can see that the one with the pen has some blue pigment (these were from hatchery Barred Plymouth Rocks) -- Sometimes chickens have irregularities in their pigment.
That probably explains it since the eggs do have spots sometimes. Either way, I sure got a kick out of it!

Back
Top Bottom