How does this sound?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IRL, Mar 14, 2011.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi
    I am going to be getting anywhere from 6-12 call duck eggs on ebay in a few days, and i'm going to be trying to incubate and hatch them.
    I have never incubated any eggs before, but i have raised ducklings and chicks. I just borrowed 2362n model hovabator from a friend. I think it was made in 2002.
    Here is my plan:

- Keep the temperature at 99.5 degrees, check temperature 1/3 and 2/3 way through in case of change
    - Turn the eggs three times a day at 6:00 am, 2:30 pm, and 10:30 pm (i will use x's and o's and turn 180 degrees each time)
    - Refill water troughs twice a week
    - Keep the humidity at 50% during the hatch
    - Increase the humidity to humidity to 70% several days before hatch and stop turning the eggs
    - Candle on the 7th and 14th day
    - Hatch on the 27th or 27th day

So, does this sound good?
    Also, i wanted to know:
    - Do I go into "lockdown" on the 23 or 24th day?
    - How long can i wait to put the eggs in the incubator after i recieve them in the mail (and temperature?)
    - Will filling the "circulated" trough full of water for incubation, and the "thermal" trough as well during lockdown provide the right humidity for call duck eggs?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. IRL

Apr 12, 2010
    Bumb

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sounds good. Call duck eggs are notoriously hard to incubate. I don't know anything about your incubator, though, so I cannot comment on the method of increasing the humidity.

- Do I go into "lockdown" on the 23 or 24th day? Duck eggs incubate for 28 days, so the last day of lower humidity and turning is day 25.
    - How long can i wait to put the eggs in the incubator after i recieve them in the mail (and temperature?) Let them rest at least overnight, if not for 24 hours.

4. IRL

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks!
    Does any one know about my question on the hovabator water trough humidity?

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I dont know the answer to your questions but wish you the best of luck....I am sure someone with experiance with duck eggs will chime in.

6. IRL

Apr 12, 2010
    Anybody else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by