how does this work??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jwchicklady, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I have a broody hen setting on 2 eggs, will she keep laying eggs until she has a bunch under her? and if she is sitting on 2 now and then more later does that mean the eggs will hatch on all different days?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Once she goes broody, she should stop laying. However, if you have other hens, they may lay in the nest. If you have other hens, mark your eggs and remove any new ones.

3. jwchicklady

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    she is only sitting on 2 eggs, do they sit once they collect a bunch of eggs? I had moved her and took eggs from her before I figured that she was going broody. Should I just leave her on the 2 eggs or should I put a few more eggs under her from the other hens?

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Unless she just started sitting today, don't put anymore under her. You don't want the eggs to have different due dates. Once they start hatching, she will sit on the live chicks for a while. Then she will have to decide between taking care of the chicks or sitting on the remaining eggs. She will either abandon the remaining eggs or let the already hatched chicks die. It's best to have all of the eggs started at the same time.

5. jwchicklady

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by