1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does this work

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bayerchicks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. bayerchicks

bayerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I posted a pic of my black leghorns and someone said they wanted eggs. I have never collected eggs from a chicken other than to eat. How do I store them, package them, and ship them? How long are the eggs good for? I have 2 black leghorn hens. How much do I charge for eggs?

2. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    Store them in an egg carton at around 50-55 degrees with the big end up... Put one end of the egg carton up on a couple of books and switch which end is up twice a day. As far as shipping them, there are a plethora of ways to do it.. do a search here on the forum to see pictures and descriptions of just a few.. Depending on where you are and where you are shipping to... you may want to wait till spring to ship..

As far as price goes... you charge whatever you can sell them for. Sales 101 is that the price is whatever the market will bear.. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    How many days should I collect before I ship? Will they still hatch if stored for a week?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If you got a rooster then they'll hatch.

Personally I'd not want fertile eggs unless they were shipped of packaged eggs within two days before that shipping date. Giving me the buyer eggs within 4 days then my incubtor those eggs in 5. I'd be very happy with that. Suspect any non-hatching on my end of the bargin.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When sending eggs to another, I make sure they are no older than 5 days old, add in shipping time and you are up to 8 days. At 10 days they start losing fertility.

6. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    Thanks guys! SO I can collect for 4-5 days so they get the eggs by day 7 or 8. Maybe collect Fri, Sat, Sunday, Monday, and ship Tuesday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by