how does this work?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennyhandler, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I was thinking of at some point letting my silkie hatch some eggs. She is still a little young yet. Anyway, she is in with my roo. When I let her do you think my silkie roo will harm the chicks. I know that some can and some will but with her hatching them herself and taking care of them and him being a silkie do you think it will be a problem?
    Then, I have heard about making a little area for chicks to be able to get into that the older birds can't so that the chicks get food and the correct type but will they use it? I assume I will have to take them to it and show them but will they willing do it on their own? How are you to keep the chicks from getting the oyster shell but for the mama to get it? Or do you just not give any until she is starting to lay again? Any info would be appreciated.

Do you seperate them out when they are growing up from the the roo or let them handle it?

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I don't think that the rooster will cause too many problems. Just see how it goes. Take all the adult feed out. You don't want chicks to eat it. The roo and hen can live off of chick feed too so don't worry.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You have a whole lot of questions and we could write a book on some of them. They are pretty good questions.

I was thinking of at some point letting my silkie hatch some eggs. She is still a little young yet. Anyway, she is in with my roo. When I let her do you think my silkie roo will harm the chicks. I know that some can and some will but with her hatching them herself and taking care of them and him being a silkie do you think it will be a problem?

Check my post in this thread. I think you will get some information that might help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

They
    are living animals and anything can happen, but roosters have never been a problem with my broody hens, whether hatching the eggs or raising the chicks. I actually have not had any real problems with the hens either, other than they want to lay in the same nest with the broody. It sounds like you only have one hen and one rooster. I personally would not be concerned about the rooster at all at any time during the process.

Then, I have heard about making a little area for chicks to be able to get into that the older birds can't so that the chicks get food and the correct type but will they use it? I assume I will have to take them to it and show them but will they willing do it on their own? How are you to keep the chicks from getting the oyster shell but for the mama to get it? Or do you just not give any until she is starting to lay again? Any info would be appreciated.

Again, it sounds like you only have one hen. If she is not laying eggs, and she won't be, she does not need the extra calcium for egg shells. She and the rooster can eat the same food the chicks eat. If you have more hens that are laying, then they can all eat the same feed the chicks are eating. Just offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need it will eat it and the ones that don't need it won't.

If you have a flock of hens, you will find thaty they probably prefer to eat out of the chicks feeder instead of their regular one, even if it si the same feed. At least mine do. So I built this thing to set over the chick's feeder. [​IMG] I just put one of those long red chick feeders under it.

The hens cannot get to it but the chicks can get to it from the ends. I find that by two weeks old, the chicks are eating out of the older chickens' regular feeder. They just fly up to it. You really cannot keep the chicks out of anything.

Do you seperate them out when they are growing up from the the roo or let them handle it?

People do it different ways. I prefer Mama to raise them with the flock so she handles integration. I have never had a problem of the rooster hurting a chick. Quite the contrary. Most of my roosters have helped protect the chicks and helped Mama with them. But again, they are living animals. Anything can happen.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. Moonkssd

Moonkssd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Marietta, Pa
    I love your idea about the chick feeder ridgerunner
    very nice Thanks for sharing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by