How does your daily schedule go?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Daddas1Punkin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    My schedule is like this:

8 am, get up
    9 am, eat
    9:30 am get schoolwork started
    1 pm eat
    2-5 are usually Dr. appt.s
    6 pm eat
    7 pm watch tv
    9 pm get ready for bed
    9:30 pm feed the fish and come on BYC
    10 pm head towards bed
    and if I'm lucky, get in bed by 11pm.

[​IMG]

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    6 am-get up, ready for work, daughter off on the bus and let chickens out/feed
    7:15 leave on 1.5 hr commute
    8:45 work
    12-1 lunch
    1-5 work
    5 to 6:30 drive home
    6:30-10:30 collect eggs/lock up chickens, dinner, help daughter with homework (daughter bball games 2xs a week) shower
    10:30-11:30 BYC or tv
    11:30 bed

3. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Ah, the days of work and school routines! It's much tougher when you're retired, folks. It's a 7 day a week job with no holidays. [​IMG]

My day starts between 5.00am and 7.00am depending on how I feel.

First big task of the day is to get my breakfast. My wife has breakfast at Thai time which is between 9,00am and 11am so I'm on my own for this one. I also turn on the espresso machine for coffee later.

I watch the TV news while I have breakfast.

Next job is to walk around outside checking on the banties. They are free range and roost in the trees so I have to search for them sometimes.

Then think about feeding the catfish.

For the rest of the morning I carry the heavy burden of deciding what to do with the rest of the day. I can choose to do anything I want and that's a big responsibility.

Apart from the morning rise time, the clock has no significance unless I want to catch a particular TV programme or have an appointment with, say, some friends for refreshment.

It's a tough job but someone has to do it. The only qualifications for the job are age and saving for retirement during the working years. Look forward to your second career. [​IMG]

A note on the clock over here. Quite often a Thai will tell you it's, say, 10am when you know its 4pm. The reason is that, 'though they use the same clock as the rest of us now, the traditional clock started at our 6.00am. Some still have the old habit. The reason for the old clock is that, in the sticks, the day began at dawn, which is around 6am all year. In the days when they had no electricity, they were up with the first light and off to the fields until just before dusk.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    LOL Thai!! Have you lived your whole life there or where are you from? I sure hope I am prepared financially for retirement-I can;t wait! I can't even imagine having a whole day being able to spend with the chickens! Or gardening!! I live in the country on 40 acres-and travel to the twin cities. I choose to do those so I can live the "Country life".
    That is really interesting about the clocks-learned something new today! Thanks for sharing.

5. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand

Permanently here for the five years in which I've been retired. I'm English but the UK is too cold for an old codger and my wife, judging by our trip last February, could never hand the weather. Cold here is 17 degrees C! Too hot for gardening on most days (30+), I found, so we pay a gardener the equivalent of about $8 per day ( a decent wage here) to do the hard work. My wife will potter in the garden all day sometimes. I have the arduous task of watching and asking questions.

You will have a tough job on 40 acres when you retire! Prepare carefully with a nice bench seat in the shade with a good view of the land.

It took me nearly the five years to solve the clock mystery! I thought that the locals just couldn't tell the time accurately.

6. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    LOL @ the time dilema! WHat a life! I am in the US and have traveled to over 30 (including Hawaii)states as well as Mexico, and Canada. However, I STILL! have not traveled abroad! We have a daughter heading to Italy for a few weeks for a college program-so jealous! I will make it to Europe some day.....

As far as our 40 acres: My better half is a hunter so I would guess 25 acres or more are wooded. We have a large garden and 24 chickens currently. When retirement comes along, I hope to add some honeybees...and lots of travel time!

7. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Honey bees would be great! We had wild bees settle under our waterfall one year but they moved on before we could think about taking some honey.

We have red ants' nests in trees here at this time of year. People raid them for chicken food. I suspect that some of the old timers eat what they find themselves.

8. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Gross! lol No ant raising or gathering going to happen here!!!! So I am interested in what other types of wild birds you have there? When I lived in California, I had a small business raising exotic birds and I beleive that some of birds I bred were from htat area.. specifically what we called Indian RIngnecks?

9. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

4 am awake get dressed
    5 am wake up daughter get her dressed feed cats and inside dog
    530 am leave house to meet bus then head to work
    530 pm get off work then go pick up daughter
    6 pm get home check on chickens collect eggs do homework cook supper baths feed outside dogs
    730 pm tuck daughter in bed then straighten up house
    800-10 pm me time byc fb etc
    10 pm bedtime

10. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    The ants in question are common. In fact, we have several kinds of ants and it's the smallest that creep in lines along the grounds and sting you if you stand in their way. Ants aren't raised - they do well by themselves.

Red ants bite rather than sting. They dig in their pincers and stand on their heads. Our gardener was so fed up with them when he was pruning a tree one day that he gave up at midday and went home. We knock down any nests we see with a long bamboo pole and burn them.

I'm not a bird expert. Our garden seems to be a haven for several breeds from sparrow upwards. We often see egrets fly over as they go fishing in the morning or returning to roost at night. I believe that, in remote areas such as the jungle, there's an amazing range of breeds. Around the villages, the locals occasionally trap them for food so big birds stay well away. There's a nasty trade in wild birds at some Bangkok temples. People will sell captured specimens for you to release.

Another nasty trade is the capture and export of certain types to other Asian countries such as Laos and Cambodia. For food, I believe. The trade is illegal but money talks in such circles.

This link gives you a better idea than I can and Wiki has a page on Thai wild bird too:

http://www.pbase.com/carljohansvensson/birdofthailand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by