How does your SO/parents/roomate feel about your chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nicole01, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    How do they feel?

My hubby could live without them. He does nothing more then fix or build on the coop or run. I'm 100% fully responsible for the chickens. I feed, change water, clean coop/run, and spend time holding and petting my girls. He says we've put too much money towards the chicken coop and run as I keep adding things for him to do.[​IMG] I'm lucky enough that he didn't get mad that I brought home 6 more then what was planned. He understands that I really like these chickens, so he adds and fixes things when I ask. He might grumble about the additional cost, but he always gets the job done. Yesterday he built me a door on the run, so I can free range the girls. We didn't need the door, so I thought it was nice he built it right away when I asked. My hubby is a very busy guy with little free time to build for my chickens.

The really funny thing is whenever hubby is in the coop working on things, he has 3-4 chickens fly on his back and head at one time.[​IMG] I stand back and crack up before I boot them out to the run. I'm very grateful he puts up with the chickens.[​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    My parents, when they come to visit, love them! My Dad laughed his butt off when I demonstrated a 'chicken stampede' when I call the free rangers in for treats! My neighbors are all farmers, without chickens oddly (cows n horses), but they like the idea of eggs!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Dh would be fine without them.Says the cost is more than the payback(eggs/meat).Me, I just like having them even if they are a pain at times.My kids adore them too.My ds was telling his 13yo friend he is getting chickens when he has his own place,and the friend says he wants some too!

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:I do the building and fixing of coops and the feeding and watering. I think you maybe wrong about who is doing/has done the most work.

5. Hi! My husband 'tolerates' them. He makes all the feed-runs and unloads all the feed (I use 400+ lbs of chicken feed a week, so that is REALLY appreciated).
    As far as building and daily chicken chores --- it's all me.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I do the building and fixing of coops and the feeding and watering. I think you maybe wrong about who is doing/has done the most work.

Naw, it took him one weekend to build the coop, one day to put up the run. He will not feed or change and wash the waterer daily, nor will he clean the coop/run. I clean the coop 4-5 times a day. I rake the run 1-2 times a week, then wash it out. I keep the coop very clean since he built it inside the garage and I need to keep the smell down to nothing. Sometimes I think raising chickens is a full time job. Now I will supervise free range everyday for an hour at a time. I give the girls treats twice a day. In the morning it's either homemade flock block or sunflower seeds and evening they get a fruit.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Gotcha. I've only got 21 chickens right now, takes about five minutes a day to feed and water. I plan to clean the coop out this winter.

To answer the original question: my wife likes the chickens but does not like to get to involved with them because she doesn't like her dinner to have had a name.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I share a little acreage with my son and his family. I bought the chicks on my own, and I do their everyday care; it's my hobby. But -- they are around the chickens all the time, bring them leftovers, care for them when I leave town, help me any time I ask, and plan to keep them when I am gone. If they're going to be around the coop, they let them loose for free range time and keep an eye on them. My son decided they needed a bigger coop and a big fenced yard, and built them on his own, with only a little guidance from me / BYC. He and his wife even took over processing. Guess I started something.

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    When I first brought them home, my hubby was very annoyed with me for it. He didn't want any part of raising chickens. Now, he loves them. He takes it upon himself to sneak treats to the lowest in the pecking order, and keeps a seperate bag of raisins just for her. I do all the daily maintenance for them, but he helps me with the bigger chicken chores. Last summer, he went on a road trip with me to get three of a breed that i had been wanting for a while.

I have two neighbors that are close enough to know i have chickens. My elderly neighbor on my right wants them to come further into her yard so she can watch them. She cannot eat eggs because of her health, but she loves them and really enjoys watching them feed. My other neighbor cannot see into my yard, but asked me to get a rooster because she said she would love to hear it crowing.

My children also enjoy them. The only people in my world who really don't appreciate my chickens are my co-workers. They love the free eggs, but several of them think i'm nuts for wanting to raise them. I am not someone who chatters away incessantly about my chickens to people all the time (only when it's something really interesting), so I am not sure why they care to keep riding that pony.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Husband - doesnt care much for them but builds them things.. he's kind of taken a liking to my Mille Fleur d'Uccle pair but doesnt care if the rest leave.

Mother and father - love my birds and are trying to get their own

MIL & FIL - have birds of their own but dont like MY birds.. they think my plains for showing and breeding them are stupid and see no reason in my Bantams. they want egg layers and if my JGs (which are my only LF birds) are going to breed, they arent going to give them eggs and my bantam's eggs are going to be too small.. plus they believe I baby them too much.. they call me mother hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by