1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How early can they have "people food"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bec, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Hello everyone!!

I just got 7 Buff Orpington chicks yesterday!! I am just so excited!! They hatched on Monday so today they are 3 days old.

When can I start to introduce greens and scraps from the kitchen??? Right now of course they are on medicated chick feed only, but as for when they are adults, I would like them to eat scraps and things from the kitchen.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Bec....at about 3 weeks, you can offer them MINIMAL treats..like hard boiled eggs...no shell...and small gut grass. I also offer them from the baite shop, B Moths. Small soft whitish moth larvae. Just remember...they need the feed, it has the recommended grit/feed ratio. I hand feed mine, at 3 weeks old...to make them friendlier...about 3 times a week..they get a treat. Have fun with your new babies....I also have Buff Orpingtons...almost 4 weeks old already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by