1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How early can you tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimmypie, Mar 18, 2012.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    This is an EE (or at least it was in the EE bin at the feed store, it has green legs and looks like the other one out of the same brooder but it does not have puffy cheeks) that I got almost two weeks ago. Tonight we brought the chicks up from the basement and I noticed this one is getting reddish neck feathers. I swear I've read that EE hens don't have that color?

[​IMG]

Also the whole time we had it up it was strutting around and had a very roo-ish posture and was chirp chirp chirping the whole time. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

[​IMG]

This is my first batch of chicks and although they are supposed to be pullets I know that sexing is only 90% accurate so I'm bound to end up with a roo sooner or later.

2. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    The coloring is nearly identical to my EE bantam, except she has feathered feet.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is hen colored so far. See that kinda barring? That's a hen. Plus those nice slender legs, I'm saying girl. The roosters get reddish shading on the wings, or just splashier coloring overall.

4. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Okay, I'm very relieved because I want six chicks and I don't want to go get another baby and have it younger so the ages they can go outside are so staggered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by