How early did you order/get your chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momagain1, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Hubby wants to wait until the coop/run is built; but that wont be for at least 6 wks..
    I thought we have a great shed that isnt used much, dirt floor..with a solidly closed door...

we could mark off 1/2 of it, if not less, put a lamp in there for heat (its still in upper 30's here or so with
    the occasional 45..should be warming up somewhat soon tho).. (Central IL)..but he said no, we have to wait
    until we have the coop/pen because he didnt want poop everywhere..

(ok the shed has like his mower in it lol..and a couple wagons for the kids etc..
    he said they'd fly over the short chic ken wire and roost on the stuff..thats what he doesnt want..

if I could find a nice compromise; I'm sure we can get them sooner; then we dont have to wait til december for them
    to start laying; because we'd have 6-8 wk head start..

ideas? takes on this? have you done that?? of course I could just order them and he'd deal with it LOLOL..uh..yeah...[​IMG]

I have to research to see if anyone is semi-local foro ordering..I have no clue where to even find that info!

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I got my 106 babies January 29th. They are in the garage in a brooder. My DH would get along well with yours. He hates chickens because the poo on his tractor. That's why the hen house is a LONG way from his machine shed.

Pic of my Brooder...made from a discarded pick-up bed liner, old flat bedsheets and aluminum tent poles. No dust flying, no poop on the floor.

[​IMG]

3. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    how long can they stay there?? before needing to go to the coop/run??

4. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Because I have so many, mine will be going to the coop ASAP, which means as soon as night time temps stay above freezing. If you have plenty of space, they can stay in the brooder until they are fully feathered...about 4-6 weeks for full-size birds.

5. spotlikeschicks

spotlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    AR
    I ordered mine the first week or so in January for a mid February delivery (tomorrow [​IMG]). I already have a coop for the full sized chickens but needed to build one for the bantams.
    And since I tend to procrastinate sometimes, I used the early ordering of chicks to force myself to have the bantam coop ready.
    Of course this method might not work for everyone [​IMG]

6. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    I have 8 weeks old chicks in my garage still. The coop is right around the corner. But I made a HUGE brooder, clean it a lot, put perches in, etc. It is almost like a coop, just temporary and inside. I take them out for "walks" when the weather is nice. Not ideal, but definately not hurting them until the coop is done.

7. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    We got on the list in Jan at our farm & feed store for pickup this week. I can't wait to get started with a new flock. Yipee! I'm thinking the chicks will be old enough in 6 weeks to go into the coop by the beginning of April. They will stay in the basement while they're young. We're only getting 15 - 5 RIRs, 5 BOs, 5 BRs so they don't get too stinky.

8. joey7319

joey7319 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Stanardsville, Va
    Perhaps you could go ahead and order your chicks, have them delivered, and brood them in 50 gal storage container in your house. It may give your DH a little more incentive to finish your new coop sooner. It's hard to wait when you are stricken with fuzzy butt fever. And it's exactly what I would do if my coop wasn't ready to recieve my new babies, which will be here at the end of April by the way [​IMG]

9. justafewchicks

justafewchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'm in Central Indiana, everyone arrived last Thursday with no problems. They are currently in the house I am checking the brooder in the garage today to make sure it holds the temp this time, didn't last week. We don't have the coop built yet and I went ahead and ordered as my hubby tends to move a bit quicker with incentive [​IMG]

10. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I am just worried that when they are grown (what 6 wks or so..) hubby still may not have it done..and I DO NOT want free range chickens in my large fenced in backyard...period..thats my childrens
    place to play..I do not want chicken poop all over their stuff and to walk in etc..

however; I do have a friend that will come help hubby; so if I plan a date lol...w/the friend...it'll get done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by