How early do eggs start to pip??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathnkyle, Jul 31, 2008.

1. kathnkyle

kathnkyle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    Well its day 18 day 19 in a few hours and I am so excited!! I was just wondering what is the earliest a egg will pip and what is the latest day??
    I am out all day tom so would hate to miss anything lol!!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well depending on your heat in your bator...I have seen my eggs pip as early as day 19 but never had anything pip earlier. I don't remember ever seeing anyone have any pips earlier then day 19 but seen several that do pip then! Good luck! Hope you don't miss anything!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH and I have seen people say they had eggs hatch on day 23 depending on if you had an electricity outage...or if your heat was set to low, they could hatch later. Pipping I would have to say if they don't pip by day 22 or 23 I would candle them to see if their is any movement. Otherwise you may have eggs blow up and that is NOT good!

4. kathnkyle

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    Well depending on your heat in your bator...I have seen my eggs pip as early as day 19 but never had anything pip earlier. I don't remember ever seeing anyone have any pips earlier then day 19 but seen several that do pip then! Good luck! Hope you don't miss anything!

Thank you well if its gonna happen early it will happen as soon as i leave the house tomorrow Argh its so annoying I just want to be at home all day just incase i miss something lol!!
    [​IMG]

5. kathnkyle

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    I sort of candled them before i moved them to the hatcher (had to move them as i have different due dates) They were all the same size but i cant say i saw them move I just thought that they were asleep or had run out of room or something but i only candled them really quickly so may have missed it!! does this sound bad then??
    [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    No not really...some I candled I looked and looked and no movement but it hatched. I really thought it was dead but it just happened to be TO BIG to move around lol. If it doesn't hatch on day 21 I would give it two extra days and then if nothing after that I would slowly open it to see whats going on. What breed of eggs do you have in the bator? I have seen polish pip at day 19 many times...they seem to pip earlier. Same with Serama and I think silkies tend to pip earlier. After they pip it's about 12 - 24 hours before they will hatch.

7. kathnkyle

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    Thank goodness for that all my excitement suddenly went to dread for a while there espec as its my first hatch!! I dont know what to expect!! I think i will keep my fingers crossed and hope they had just run out of room!!
    I have silkies in the bator at the mo!!

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH well you MAY have some early pippers than [​IMG] I also have silkies in the bator from chellester and my friend (she raises silkies) told me they may pip early. I have seen, out of all the hatches i had that they tend to hatch about 12 hours after pipping. If they go up to 24 hours after pipping sometimes you may have to help them out. It's a personal choice tho. IF they go later, that may mean that there is something wrong and it just wasn't meant to be. So I usually choose to just wait and see what happens and let nature take it course...others have helped theirs out and they were fine [​IMG] Do you have other hens/pullets or is this your first batch?

9. kathnkyle

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    I have 4 hens already which are all completly mad bless them they follow me around every where espec if i come home with shopping they like to look into my bags lol!!
    Not sure what breeds they are!!
    Im looking forward to my silkies and am already looking around at what breeds to hatch next lol
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by