How Early Do YOUR Boys Get Up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ma, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Our 15 wk old SLW Rooster just started crowing last week, a week ago today as a matter of fact. He has gotten better and better each day! Today 4 distinct syllables, and a wonderful deep baritone.

He starts his melodious crowing at exactly 1 hour before sunrise. (Fortunately for us, we are up at that time of day, and we love his voice [​IMG].)

I'm just curious though, how early do your Roos start?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our boys crow whenever they get a wild feather up their butts. Doesn't matter what time of the night it is, if they've got something to say, they're gonna tell the whole neighborhood! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    I've heard Ray crowing at 2:00am before, It seems he starts every morning around 5:30am.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Hotwing likes to crow at 2:30am!! Kip chimes in at around 5:30.

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Sid doesn't crow until I let him and the girls out of the coop around 6:15 am. I lock them up at night to keep them safe. If he does crow before that I don't hear it.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, my roo keeps one eye open all night and may crow at any time. Usually during the summer when all the windows are open he starts around 3AM and continues til daybreak. Gotta love them roo's!

bigzio

7. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Ma, great message. I LOVE to hear a rooster crow, and the time they do doesn't matter to me.

8. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    24/7 doesn't matter. If one of the spotlights turns on in the middle of the night, Hatchett thinks it is the sun!! But we still love him becuase he does a great job protecting the girls.
    Tink

9. debashan

debashan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    Mine start to crow when the like turns on in the coop, [4:30am], luckily the keep it in the coop until the sun comes up. The crow of and on all day, we have a number of neighbors who keep chickens and they all crow thru out day.

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    With ours it seems to depend on the weather. If it is warm out, seems like they crow earlier in the day, and more often througout the day. When the weather is cold and miserable, they crow much less, and start later in the morning. The earliest I've heard is 3:00AM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by