1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Early For Treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wayneh, Mar 4, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    how early does everyone start feeding treats. we just got our chicks from TSC. cute little fuzzy butts. we would like to start soon to keep our chicks friendly. so I guess our chicks are bout 2 days old, is this too early?

2. darkbyrd

darkbyrd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Pisgah Nat'l Forest, GRD
    I'm right there with you wayneh. I know they need grit, either chick grit, sand, or the stuff from the bottom of a regular grit bag. I'm ready when they are.

When would they be ready for bread crusts?

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I've had chickens for almost 2yrs now, but still consider myself a newbie compared to many of the other folks on here. We have raised 2 batches of little fuzzy butts and never lost one so I guess we haven't done too bad. I am a worrier, so I never give mine any treats until at least the second week and then, it is just a little something like ground oatmeal sprinkled on top of their chick food or fed from the hand. We handled ours a lot - and I mean a lot, which I think makes them friendler. I don't think I would feed bread untile they are older and then not much since it doesn't offer much nutrition. And yes, once they are eating treats, don't forget the grit.

Good luck, and wlecome to the wonderful world of chickens.[​IMG]

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I give my chicks treats as soon as they are eating grit. I put my chicks outside just last week to enjoy the sunshine, and since they ate plenty of dirt/grit, I gave them some mealworms. It was so cute to see 3-day-old chicks discover the joy of mealworms! I figure as long as they are eating dirt and grit, they can handle it. My broody and chicks eat whatever they find from day #1.

5. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    Our chicks are from TSC and 2 other feed stores, all just a few days old. We are already giving them mealworms - they love them! My son hand feeds them, one will take it and the others chase it down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by