1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How early is to early to float test coturnix quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Farmerman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Farmerman

Farmerman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    I read a bunch of old threads on float testing coturnix eggs. so i understand how to do it, Im just not sure how early I can do it....

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Usually you float test after a hatch is delayed a bit.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I float test on day 19 or 20.

4. Farmerman

Dec 31, 2010
    so it doesnt work until the eggs are just about to hatch? in some of the older threads people mentioned you could do it at day 9-10 I believe.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In Theory It Should Be Accurate After The 2/3's Of The Incubation Period Is Complete. Personally I Do It Only If A Hatch Is Late

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I float test 2 days after they have hatched. I don't throw them away until I do.

7. Farmerman

Dec 31, 2010
    okay thanks everyone!!!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wait Lemme Re-phrase That....

I Will Float Some Pheasant Eggs That Are Too Dark/ Thick To Candle At Transfer Time--- When They Get Moved From Incubator To Hatcher For Lockdown... Otherwise I Dont Float Test Eggs Until Over-due For Hatch... Sorry Its Not Really Pheasant Season So It Took A Little While For Me To Remeber I Do Float A Few Earlier Than The Confinement (hatch) Date. Some Pheasant Eggs Can Be Most Challenging To Candle... If Hatcher Space Is At A Premium And I Have The Time To Kill I Will Float Test The Ones I Cant Candle... I Dont Usually Candle Arbitrarily Or During Incubation Periods... I Try Not To Disturb The Incubator Environment Any More Than Necessary, Since I Use A Seperate Hatcher I Candle At Transfer And Chuck The Duds Then, Lockdown The Viable Eggs And Go On To The Next Project... For Coturnix, And Buttons When I Had Them, I Simply Incubate, Tansfer And Lockdown, Then When They Became 24-36 Hrs Late They Went Swimming To Check Viability As A Way Of Making The Decision To Give Them More Time Or Toss Them And Move On.

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I never bother to float coturnix eggs, I have better things to do in my time.

Unless somehow I get some of the expensive, precious, misterious giant godzilla dinorex 1lb+ "lost" but perhaps found again A&M's.

LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by