How early is to early?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tjh143, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tjh143

tjh143 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Kentucky!
    I have a good size coop with some hens and a rooster inside. I also let them "free range" in the afternoon for 2 or 3 hours whenever I can. I have some chicks that are currently living in my basement with a heat lamp. My hens and roostrer inside the coop are pecking CONSTANTLY! (I recently got new hens). I was wondering when I should move the chicks into the coop with the other chickens. They would be with them at night and during the day. They would also be eating the same food. So, when should I be able to move my chicks into the coop with the other chickens where they would not get hurt by the other chickens and be able to survive off the heat lamp and eat adult food?

2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if I'd do that. How old are they?

3. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    Introduce them on a warm day when the chicks are 3 or 4 weeks old. Make sure to keep an eye on them the whole time they are together. Something like a laundry basket with a hole cut into the side just big enough for the younger ones would also be a good thing to put in the run. At 4-6 weeks you can see about keeping them outside during the day, depending what your outside temps are. By 6-8 they should be out there full time.

4. tjh143

Mar 25, 2012
    Kentucky!
    I got 6 of them from TSC on 3/19/12
    And the other 8 I don't know I got them at an auction. They do have their adult feathers.

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    To put chicks in with grown birds you need to get them used to each other. Build a temporary run and shelter for the chicks inside or right up against the big birds run.They need to see each other and get the newness worn of the young birds. You can put your chicks into there at 3 to 4 weeks old. Let them grow in there until they get some weight on. Id say 8 to 10 weeks old to go in with he big birds. Then watch they don't get beat up to bad as they reestablish the pecking order.

6. tjh143

Mar 25, 2012
    Kentucky!
    Thank you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by