1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How early is too early...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Petej, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    To transfer my Quail chicks to the big pen?

I'll give you a few details:

The pen is indoors, so heat isn't an issue.

I have them in the brooder now and the oldest are a nearing three weeks old and are fully feathered.

Is it safe to transfer them to the big pen with the adults? They are already claimed by an old coworker, but they need to get out of the brooder as they are flying and raising havoc with the chicks that are younger....

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I wouldn't but I don't mix ages.

Which quail do you have?

Nevermind, is see Coturnix in your siggy. Only ones I have that I might even consider would be my Manchurian Golds. Not the J Browns and not the Whites. Just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. IamTheChickenWhisperer

IamTheChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Time to take them to the co-worker...or set up a seperate cage. Mixing ages will get you a bunch of dead quail. [​IMG]

4. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Coturnix.

The adults are about 5 months old.

5. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Separate cage it may be.

So you all think they can live outside the brooder?

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    With Coturnix You May Mix Ages, But Not Sizes... All Birds Need To Be Full Sized Or Quail Wars Will Ensue

When Mixing Or Adding To A New Flock Its Best To Place Everyone In A "new To Them Pen" Simultaneously--- This Helps Destroy The Imagined Territorial Lines The Estabolished Group Has Dreamed Up In Their Lil Feathered Heads... No Territory To Protect No Need To Whip Somebodys Tail...

If You're Using A Large Indoor Pen Simply Take The Older Group Out And Move Them To Temporary Housing For A Couple Of Weeks Then Everyone Goes Back In There Togather-- Old And New. As Stated Above All Need To Be The Same Size Irreguardless Of Age

Personally About The Brooder Question I Brood Minimum Of 3 Wks, If Cool Weather Longer... All Kinda Depends On The Birds Themselves And How They Tolerate The Temperature Change

7. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Sweet, that's the answer I was looking for!

I have about a half week to go, then I have a "grow out" cage to put them in.

I still need to contact my former coworker and arrange for her to take them.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by