How early is too early

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tiffanya, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    One of my hens hatched out a single chick. Due to this I'd like to integrate the chick into the flock whenever the mother hen is ready so it doesn't have to be alone. Its about three week old and has been in a sectioned off corner of the run since it hatched so the flock could see mom and chick. Today I let them in together for a few minutes and all seemed to go ok. The chick definitely had no fear and the rest of the flock hardly seemed to notice it. How early is too early to let them be together?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I let my mamas, who hatch in the coop, just isolated in a large dog crate, bring the chicks out as soon as they want, usually around 3 days old. That's when mama starts pacing at the crate door, letting me know she's ready to introduce her chicks to the flock.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They're fine right now, as far as I'm concerned. Momma will be fierce about protecting it.

I have baby chicks all over my yard right now, dashing between the legs of the grown up chickens. SEVERAL of my hens went broody about the same time, and there are three mommas chasing, calling, protecting, training up their young'uns right now.

My very first broody hen hatched a solo chick, too. That chick has already laid eggs which other hens have hatched. Momma did good!

4. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I worry a bit more because I have four 3 month old pullets to introduce to the flock soon also. (Didn't know I'd have a broody hen when I ordered the chicks.) Hoping its a girl too so I can keep it! My flock is in a large run rather than free ranging. Will this matter with the transition at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by