How early to dose chicks w/Sulmet for cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny Side Up, May 16, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Please help me figure out what to do for my chicks' best health and also my ease in caring for everyone. I plan to buy a few chicks every few weeks as my local feed store gets them, trying to collect a nice assortment of different breeds to raise and show at our county fair in Jan. Of course I want to give them the best care & treatment, but I also want to make their care as convenient as can be for me. I had planned to keep them all together so I don't have many different little pens of chicks to deal with.

But I've had to treat the first batch of chicks, now 2 weeks old, with Sulmet for cocci. I had wanted to wait until I had 2 or 3 batches of chicks together and dose them all at once, but one of these chicks had passed quite a bit of blood, so I thought I should dose them immediately. (That one chick died, but none of the others has passed any more blood).

Today I brought home 9 new chicks from the feed store. I don't think I should add them to the pen with the 2-week-old chicks, who are on day 4 of their Sulmet treatment. My questions are:

When should I add the new chicks to the others' pen?
    Should I treat the new chicks with Sulmet before putting them with the others?
    Should I wait until I see symptoms, or just treat them anyway?

I appreciate your imput, thank you.

2. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    QUESTION
    When should I add the new chicks to the others' pen?
    ANSWER
    (A if you add them now they will get the coccidiosis
    and they are tooo young for that
    can you get amproylium for coccidiosis? it comes in product called corid.
    it is much easier on their gut

(B did you try the
    wet mash medicated to give the sulmet?
    feed it the first two days in morning
    when eaten clean wet feeder and restore dry crumbles

it is a good thing when you have chicks weak with coccidiosis to get them to eat the medicated wet mash
    for number of chick s
    5 tbsp of dry crumbles
    10 tbsp of plain water to which add 1/2 tsp of the sulmet
    if that is what you use
    feed 2 tsp of this medicated wet mash to each chick

I prefer amproylium and corid is very good
    you make the corid or amproylium wet mash the same

and at same time use the medicated water also

Most chickens will eat the medicated wet mash and get the medicine into their gut
    where as they only frink and sulmet is so bitter they will stand and die first

it is good to put some jello in the drinking water as it colors it and sweetens the sulmet water

hopefully you can get some medicated wet mash down the sick chicks

QUESTION
    Should I treat the new chicks with Sulmet before putting them with the others?
    ANSWER
    no do not treat them till they actually have the coccidiosis

QUESTION
    Should I wait until I see symptoms, or just treat them anyway?

ANSWER
    yes wait till you see the bloody droppings and any chicks humped up, shivering and ruffled feathers
    generally thy wil stand off from the rest of the chicks

GLH QUESTION
    how could such young chicks get coccidiosis?
    did you put them on the soil when you got them?
    Are they in a brooder?
    If that is where they got the coccidiosis then there is a need to disinfect the brooder and all feeders and waterers
    as that is the only way young chicks could have gotten coccidiosis

generally my chicks when put on the soil were 4-8 weeks old and never got coccidiosis for 10 days after putting them on the soil

please respond so we can help you
    How old are the ones that are down with coccidiosis?
    email me PM to help you

Also they will need the
    wet mash probiotic
    1 qt dry crumbles
    1/4 cup yoguart
    1-1/2 qts of milk
    mix good and feed chicks 2-3 tsp of this so they can begin the gut restoration for good gut flora

the sulmet does away with their natural good gut flora

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    This being sunny South Florida, I put my chicks outside during the day right away. I watch for signs of bloody stool in the brooder box they stay in overnight. At the first sign of that, I give them all the Sulmet in their drinking water as directed, for 2 days then 1/2 strength 4 more days. Usually the chicks show no other symptoms of ailment, just going on as lively as usual. The bloody stools stop with the treatment, usually the first or second day.

I'll keep these new chicks separated, and just watch their stool for any bloody droppings. If there are, I'll treat them then, and afterwards combine the two groups.

I like the idea of adding a bit of Jell-o powder to their Sulmetted water, to get them to drink more. Do they have any preferences to flavor/color?

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    yes I always used 1/4 to 1/2 box of red jello as red is seen by chickens
    and strawberry or respberry is very flavorful

also do not miss the
    wet mash probiotic
    as it is very healthy for the sick chicks

your doing a good job
    we lived in cold windy Iowa so could not put the chicks out till they were older
    do you feed medicated chick starter?

keep us posted
    email me if needed PM me

5. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    I just noticed your reply. How much Sulmet for 2 cups or 1/2 qt water

6. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    I personally don't want to give them flavored jello, but what can 2 week old chicks have in their water/Sulmet mix? They won't barely touch the water with Sulmet in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by