how exact does the temperature need to be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ki4got, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I've got a Hovabator 1602 (with fan and turner) that's holding pretty good between 99 and 100, but my hatcher seems to vary a bit from about 98.5 to 100.5...

should I worry or am i being overly picky about it? will that stabilize more with eggs in lockdown?

I thought about putting some store eggs in it to test cranking humidity before hatching but i don't have that many to eat yet LOL.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The average should be between 99.5-100, but you'll be fine as long as it doesn't stay at the low end too long at a stretch. It sounds pretty normal to me, really.

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    yeah I don't think it's staying either direction for long, I tend to notice the lower temps in the morning and higher in the evening... depending on how long the oven's been running for dinner and over night temps towards morning. i see 98ish in the morning and 100ish before bed. around lunch seems to be about right.

both 'bators are side by side on the same shelf, but the picture window one is the one that fluctuates the most. but I'm thinking for hatching a little variation is more acceptable than early on? at least by then they can maintain some of their own heat to a small degree...

4. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    Move at least the bator out of the window...the sunlight or heat will raise the temps. Most incubator instructions with say not in direct sunlight, in an area away from temp fluctuations...Good luck!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I have my incubators in a room closed off from the rest of the house where the temp doesn't fluctuate. Some people I know keep theirs in a closet.

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:the 'bator's not near a window... it's in a back room with no windows at all actually... not sure how you got that it's near a window. and if they were side-by-sde, near a window why would one vary more than the other? unless you don't understand the "picture window" hovabator...

the 2 'bators are the 1602 [​IMG]

and the 1582 [​IMG]

not being air conditioned, the house does tend to fluctuate overall temperature +/- 5 degrees daily. depending on what it is doing outside. I don't have any control over that...

if someone could, the weather men would be out of business. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by