How exactly do you raise Coturnix quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by C&Rman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Hello! I am going to be ordering some eggs from a fellow BYC member and I dont really know anything about them. I have a few questions...

* How long do they take to hatch?
    * What do you feed them starting with chicks to adults?
    * When do they start to lay eggs?
    * Can you eat their eggs?
    * How many square feet per bird?

I have a 4'x4' hutch that is half wire and half wood, how many birds could I keep in their comfortably? Also how many males should I have so I can have fertile eggs?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    C&Rman :

Hello! I am going to be ordering some eggs from a fellow BYC member and I dont really know anything about them. I have a few questions...

* How long do they take to hatch? 16- 18 days, lockdown at day 14
    * What do you feed them starting with chicks to adults? Game Bird Starter their whole lives, at least 26% protein.
    * When do they start to lay eggs? 6-8 weeks
    * Can you eat their eggs? Sure can, and they're pretty darn good. [​IMG]
    * How many square feet per bird? About 1 sq. ft. per bird, you can get by with a little less though.

I have a 4'x4' hutch that is half wire and half wood, how many birds could I keep in their comfortably? Also how many males should I have so I can have fertile eggs? At least 16 birds, so about 3 roosters. You could fit a few more if you have to. You'll need 1 male for every 4-8 females.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sticky Section Up Here In The Top Of The Forum... Coturnix Quail Basics... There Ya Go!

4. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Oh I didn't even see that thanks! And thank you very much gamebirdboy for answering my questions...

5. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    You're welcome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by