How 'extra' do I have to be?

Pics

meglynnie

Songster
Mar 25, 2019
Southwest Ohio
Good Evening Flock!

I'm extremely new to chickens. Last night I picked up 10 Rhode Island Red chicks and brought them safely home. They are such fun lil creatures!

I have always wanted chickens to add into our hobby farm, however I was always hesitate due to being a bit paranoid of zoonotic diseases via chickens. I have no idea why I am paranoid about this. I have/had horses, cat, rabbits and dogs but I suppose my slight paranoia is due to not being around chickens at all in my life.

My question is how 'extra' do I need to be with cleanliness to make sure me, my husband and visitors stay healthy?

The most basic step is of course washing hands before or after, but then I feel I get to extreme. I get back in the house and change my clothes out immediately, leave my shoes outside, and sanitize my phone. Is all that really necessary or am I really doing the right thing?

I know this is such an odd topic but hey I have to learn some how!

Thank you!

Simple hand washing and leaving your chicken shoes outside are enough to avoid getting sick from anything they 'might' have. Most people never have a problem.

The odd person claims they have been given salmonella by their chickens but you're more likely to catch that from a commercially kept flock because the symptoms go unnoticed. Fresh fruit and vegetables are also a culprit as they can be contaminated by rodents when stored in warehouses.

We've never had a problem and our kids love their birds.

Having dedicated coop shoes is good, washing hands is good.
The rest sounds extreme unless you and your phone are rolling around on the coop floor.
I only change my clothes if I get pooped on while doing exams.

ETA: unless you are immunosuppressed, then it's a whole other ballgame, talk to your doctor.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 3682E172-3862-4D43-B905-4E1247CFF295.jpeg
    3682E172-3862-4D43-B905-4E1247CFF295.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom