How fake eggs or golf balls..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksinthemachine, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I was wondering how many easter eggs for my EE's per box I should put in there. Any ideas? A lot, a little, I doesn't know!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I just threw one or two in each box. The hens will peck at it and "play" with it and hopefully will lay their eggs in the box and no not to peck their own.

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I think that the nest egg should have the weight close to a real egg cause if it is too light they will keep tossing it out of the nest . Not a good habit when the real eggs come.

4. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    What should I put in their to make them heavier? I am going to tape them so they hopefully won't break them. Any suggestions?

5. truegrit farm

truegrit farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I took 2 of the plastic pull apart Easter eggs and filled them with some dirt/gravel just enough to make them about the same weight as a real egg. Put 2 in each nest and my 18 week old pullets went right to the nests and laid.

Good luck!

6. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Cool thanks for the information, plenty of dirt and gravel here! Well time to get started be back on later.

7. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I've heard of using both golf balls and fake eggs. [​IMG] I didn't use either. [​IMG] Had been told that the golf ball thing didn't work for a friend of mine. [​IMG] SO, I boiled a few store bought eggs marked them with a ?? And placed them in every other nesting box.
    And 3 days later one of our chickens layed our 1st egg. [​IMG]
    I waited till I got 3 brown eggs then removed the seed eggs as I called them. Didn't want them to go bad [​IMG]
    The hard boiled were white our chickens lay brown, which I found out with the 1st one. [​IMG] So it was easy to tell.

Hey good luck on which ever way you try. Let us know how it works out [​IMG]
    Nothing better than your own home grown breakfast. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by