How far can you go?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Miss Lydia, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I started out with chickens a little over 2 years ago, we adopted a mama hen and her 10 chicks just 1 day old. [​IMG] Well of those 11 we have 2 of the original left, gave some awy a couple died. But now I am wondering how far can this family go before we start to see problems from them breeding with each other. The rooster is one of the original and his mama, they bred and have hatched chicks and now some of their chicks have hatched chicks. To throw into the mix I have some hens that aren't kin to these 2. But I am just concerned as to how long the breeding can go on before we see problems. I hate to give up this rooster he is such a gentleman with his girls and us. I appreciate any feedback on this thank you. [​IMG] Forgot to say that this roo is also mating with some of his grandaughters now, [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd think you could go for years and years, really, especially since you say you have a couple unrelated birds in there, too. Father to granddaughter is perfectly acceptable line breeding. Even brother to sister isn't as bad as one would think.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Since speckledhen has spoken I feel silly leaving any input, but I just wanted to say "Hi". I haven't seen you about since I came back and I was hoping you were still around. It's good to see that you are indeed still here.

4. speckledhen

Quote:Oh, puleeeze! I'm no expert on much of anything. Your input is as welcome as mine is. [​IMG] Hiya, Carrie! Where's your avatar??

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Oh, puleeeze! I'm no expert on much of anything. Your input is as welcome as mine is. [​IMG] Hiya, Carrie! Where's your avatar??

I'm going to update it. Mine was 2 years old. But, that means I actually have to be on the other side of the camera.

And you are an expert! Your words are highly revered here with good reason.

6. speckledhen

Quote:Someone started that rumor a couple years ago and I keep trying to squash it, LOL. [​IMG] Glad to see you back.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

I'm going to update it. Mine was 2 years old. But, that means I actually have to be on the other side of the camera.

I agree that I listen to Speckled Hen when she has advice and I appreciate it very much, makes me feel a whole lot better, but CMV I respect what you have to say too, both of ya'll have been at this longer than I have, so please give your advice and input. And Where did you go CMV I didn't know you were missing, I have been hanging out in the duck thread alot, [​IMG]

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:I'm going to update it. Mine was 2 years old. But, that means I actually have to be on the other side of the camera.

I agree that I listen to Speckled Hen when she has advice and I appreciate it very much, makes me feel a whole lot better, but CMV I respect what you have to say too, both of ya'll have been at this longer than I have, so please give your advice and input. And Where did you go CMV I didn't know you were missing, I have been hanging out in the duck thread alot, [​IMG]

Ahhh, ducks. Mine have had a glorious day today with the 20 inches of snow we had last night. They think they have died and gone to heaven. I kept catching mine sledding with the kids in the neighborhood. Seeing them "swimming" down the sledding hill was a riot. They are normally so stand-offish that it was a delight to see them tolerating the presence of the small humans in the neighborhood.

I had a lot of work to so this summer. I needed to deal with the major flock issues, the predation issues, had to paint the entire exterior of my house... you know. I decided I needed to actually get a bunch of work done. I banned myself from my computer until I finished my "To Do" list. I got a monumental amount of work done this summer, so it was worth it.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I agree that I listen to Speckled Hen when she has advice and I appreciate it very much, makes me feel a whole lot better, but CMV I respect what you have to say too, both of ya'll have been at this longer than I have, so please give your advice and input. And Where did you go CMV I didn't know you were missing, I have been hanging out in the duck thread alot, [​IMG]

Ahhh, ducks. Mine have had a glorious day today with the 20 inches of snow we had last night. They think they have died and gone to heaven. I kept catching mine sledding with the kids in the neighborhood. Seeing them "swimming" down the sledding hill was a riot. They are normally so stand-offish that it was a delight to see them tolerating the presence of the small humans in the neighborhood.

I had a lot of work to so this summer. I needed to deal with the major flock issues, the predation issues, had to paint the entire exterior of my house... you know. I decided I needed to actually get a bunch of work done. I banned myself from my computer until I finished my "To Do" list. I got a monumental amount of work done this summer, so it was worth it.

Well i am just glad to hear you weren't sick or had to have major surgery, I know what you mean about having to get things done, you did good. sorry you have had predator issues, We had a hawk try to get one of our hens the other day and this roo I mentioned in this post actually jump into the air like he was trying to grab this hawk. Scared me till I was able to count and make sure everyone was okay. I don't know what the roo had in mind but he was protecting his girls. I am downsizing my flock so i understand about having so many things to deal with. Now that it's getting cold wow 20 inches of snow? my goodness, we'll be able to talk alot more, most of us will be cooped up in our homes a good deal. I didn't know you had ducks, what breed, My muscovies don't like snow.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Good for your roo! You gotta love those boys that will spit in the eye of adversity. I am still trying to acquire one of those. Defend the girls, but not try to kill me every time I enter the coop.

Why the downsize?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by