how far do polish chickens roam

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashley12, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    hello, i just joind byc. this is my first post. i am getting ready to order some silver laced polish chicks, and i was wondering how far they roam as adults. i know roaming distance depends on the type of chicken, but i don't know much about polish chickens. any info will help greatly.

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear that most will follow the feet of other flock members, or stay close to home. My one girl does roam, and quite far, too. We have woods and she'll follow along with the others. She has no problem finding her way back, either. Though be aware, she has been with us since hatching and is two years old. The only time she has never been able to get herself back home was when it was snowing and she didn't recognize very much of our land. But that was only because I took her to free-range, not because she got there herself.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one hen that I trim her feathers so she can see and she roam the whole farm with the others.

4. Queen Chika

Queen Chika Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    I have polish and I love them to death, the only problem is that their punked up hair covers their eyes, making it hard for them to see real well. So my hen liked to wonder down to the creek if my girls didn't get her in the coop before dusk. We got her back once, but lost her the second time. We sure did love Brown Sugar...just be careful, I don't think they wonder always just to wonder, I think they just don't see very well...But they sure are cute:lol:

5. ashley12

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    these will be my first chickens. i have been around chickens all my life and i love them. i have neighbors about 150 yards out the front of my house, but out back there is hundreds of acres for them to roam. the way my luck is they will go straight to the neighbors, and i'm sure they won't like it. maybe the chickens will get off easy due to their good looks.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Expect them to roam 300 to 400 feet from there roosts. Put there home as far from where you dont wont them to be as you can.

7. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    In my experience Polish don't make great free range chickens. They are one of my favorite breeds, but when they can't see they don't notice hawks or danger. One of my Polish roosters gets lost in my fenced in back yard all the time because he can't see where he is. [​IMG] Even the ones that can see clearly seem to be dumber than my other chickens. But they are sooo sweet, I think Polish make great pets.

8. ashley12

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    thanks for the info.

9. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

WE had a polish Rooster who ran off one time with a flock of wild turkeys and never came back....

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm sorry, but the wording sounded hilarious! [​IMG] He just wasn't happy with his flock? He needed a change? He found his calling-to be a turkey? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by