How far from wall should roost poles be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MeadowBrookFarm, Jul 11, 2011.

1. MeadowBrookFarm

MeadowBrookFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    How far from a wall should roosting poles be, and if I'm putting up several in parallel, what should be the minimum distance between them?

2. bullpup95

bullpup95 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Vancleave, MS
    I have the same question????

3. tanyizzle

tanyizzle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    Someone may have a better answer but my gut tells me about 1 chicken length.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    it depends on your chickens... are they full size or bantam?

I have mine a foot away from the wall

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    mine criss-cross the coop so I figure they'll work it out themselves... that and only the ends touch the walls: maybe that would work for you (unless you like things neat and tidy [​IMG])

6. MeadowBrookFarm

MeadowBrookFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    I do prefer neat and tidy [​IMG] and I have regular-sized hens (barred rock, lt. brahmas, etc.). Do you think a foot spacing between all the rods would be sufficient?

7. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I'd probably go 18 inches at least between... a foot and they'll be right on top of each other.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:... I used 12" L brackets to attach the roosts to the wall.. works out great and I have full size birds... my bantams have a smaller roost 6" away and this keeps the big girls off the small girls roost

9. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    They like to snuggle. I have mine at the same height, parallel except 8" apart at one end and about 14" at the other end. They like the section about 10' apart. The ones behind put their heads between the chickens in front. Even in the summer; - of course it is about 40 to 45, rarely 50 degrees F at night here in the summer. Days run 55 to 75.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by