1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How far out from the wall should the roosts be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcited2, Aug 16, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    We are ready to put roosts in our chicken house and my husband is insisting that he is just going to screw in the 2x4 (4" for them to set on) into the studs of the house. He thinks that will be far enough away from the wall.

I told him they need more room than that for their butt and tail feathers to stick out behind the wood. He is not listening to me, so has agreed to let me ask you guys of how far away from the wall should the roosts be?

Thanks for your help.

2. Stevo

Stevo Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Heres a photo of mine. I used hinges on the floor so I can tilt it away from the wall to clean behind it. Although I have 3 rows they always all try to fit on the top lol.

[​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Depends on the breed, but I always put the first one "One Chicken" from the wall, we raise mainly large breeds so I start the first roost pole around 12 - 18 inches from the wall. I'm sure there are as many way to do it as there are breeders.

4. Stevo

Stevo Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Just rip the 2x4 in half. I sanded and rounded off the edges they would be standing on a little so it wouldnt be sharp on thier feet.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:You're right. They need room for the butt & tail behind them, since that's where they are located, & staying there. [​IMG]

A 2"x4" is perfect. Mount it with the 4" to roost on, so they can squat & cover their feet when it gets cold.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by