How far out should a skirt go?

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
The ground is thawed and the predators are around and it's time to add a skirt to one of my runs. How far out along the ground should I lay the skirt?

Edit:
I have a roll of 36" fencing, if I cut it down to 18" I can stretch it further. Is an 18" skirt enough?

Last edited:
Yea, 18" is plenty. The digger will dig right next to the fence. It's more fun to have a hot wire 2" off the deck...

JT

Thanks! My other run is dug into the ground, for this one I'm going to try a skirt, sounds like an easier project and equally or more effective. There are lots of posts on making skirts but not much info on how big. Hotwire is tempting and may be part of a future project ;)

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Thanks! I did see these links previously. We got our skirt attached to the run yesterday, but had to run to the store to get some garden staples to hold it to the ground, and now we've got snow again, so that bit is on hold a few days.

The next part I'm debating is if the skirt should go around the coop as well... I'll have to snap a photo to show how it's situated later. The coop has a wood floor and is attached at one end of the run, but not inside the run.

There are lots of posts on making skirts but not much info on how big. Hotwire is tempting and may be part of a future project ;)

I came to this thread looking for the minimum width a skirt on the ground can be. I checked that PoultryDVM link and saw 11-24" skirt. I was relieved, because I was wondering if I could cut off an inch from a 12" skirt, which would save a ton of money on hardware cloth for my needs!

PirateGirl, how did you wind up doing your skirt? Did you just stake it down or did you put rocks on it, too?

Back
Top Bottom