How far out should I skirt the hardware cloth?

bogwitch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
South Central Wisconsin
I was just outside digging the post holes for my run, and I came quickly to the realization that there was no way I was digging an 18" deep trench all along the fence line to bury the 1/4"x1/4" hardware cloth.
th.gif

The run will be 8'x12'. My dirt is very hard clay. We have a lot of raccoons in the area, so I need to do something. I was thinking that I could just skirt out the hardware cloth instead. Will that keep out the raccoons? And how far out should I skirt it? Thanks in advance for advice...

We ran ours out about two feet from the bottom of the run and covered it with dirt. Seems pretty secure so far.

I'm buying apron cloth, which is supposed to fold one foot up so that can be put under the grass.

anno1

I put our skirt out two feet and used landscape staples to hold it down. The grass has grown thru the hardware cloth and you can't even tell it is there. Deb

I agree with FLDEB I had 2' chicken wire on the side of a dog run that I was using for pheasants, and ran about 12in out from the bottom and just let the grass grow through it.

Back
Top Bottom