How far out should I skirt the hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bogwitch, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bogwitch

bogwitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    South Central Wisconsin
    I was just outside digging the post holes for my run, and I came quickly to the realization that there was no way I was digging an 18" deep trench all along the fence line to bury the 1/4"x1/4" hardware cloth. [​IMG]
    The run will be 8'x12'. My dirt is very hard clay. We have a lot of raccoons in the area, so I need to do something. I was thinking that I could just skirt out the hardware cloth instead. Will that keep out the raccoons? And how far out should I skirt it? Thanks in advance for advice...

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    We ran ours out about two feet from the bottom of the run and covered it with dirt. Seems pretty secure so far.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I concur. Skirt the hardware cloth out 18 inches or so and cover it over with concrete blocks or a good thickness of dirt. I've had no trouble using this method.

4. anno1

anno1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    I'm buying apron cloth, which is supposed to fold one foot up so that can be put under the grass.

anno1

5. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Our skirt goes out a foot. We then staked it down and covered it with gravel. Bok.

6. Fldeb

Fldeb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I put our skirt out two feet and used landscape staples to hold it down. The grass has grown thru the hardware cloth and you can't even tell it is there. Deb

7. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Because our coop is built under the holly tree, we too had issues with digging. So we ended up building ours with a solid floor.

mm

8. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I agree with FLDEB I had 2' chicken wire on the side of a dog run that I was using for pheasants, and ran about 12in out from the bottom and just let the grass grow through it.

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours is 2ft out - all the way around the shed/coop and the attached run.

10. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    More like a mini skirt, not a knee length. [​IMG] Sorry! I couldn't help it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by