how far will a pekin go ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by meandfowl, Mar 17, 2017.

1. meandfowl

meandfowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Kalkaska Michigan
    Hello,
    just ordered some Pekins .My chicken coop is about a football field away from the pond. If I start them off in the coop what are the chances (after i let them free range) of them coming back to the coop? Should i just build a small hut for them by the pond and then in winter bring them back up to the coop ?. I really want them to use the pond in warm weather but not sure if they will come all the way back before dark .

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    They will go to light when it gets dark. If you want them in the coop put a light in it. My pond is 40 yards from my house and my ducks won't go to the pond. They just hang out at my house. I don't understand it

1 person likes this.
  3. meandfowl

Feb 28, 2017
    Kalkaska Michigan
    I hope they will go to the pond we have a big mosquito problem, plus last time i had them a few yrs ago( on old property with no pond) I used a kiddie pool and it was a huge mess 10 minutes after i filled it lol. Do yours lay eggs in the coop?

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Nope, they lay all over the place its like easter every day around here. I lure mine to the pond with treats. Then a few hours later they are pooping on my back porch.

5. meandfowl

Feb 28, 2017
    Kalkaska Michigan
    That is way too funny !

6. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Its not so funny whe you step in it. Lol

7. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

They just miss you! Or they've figured out that pooping on your porch = you giving them treats. :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by