How far will a predator jump down into the coop from trees?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by N. Virginia, Nov 6, 2010.

1. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi All:
    I am siting my chicken yard and coop under some trees. The closest branch is fairly small (1" diameter) and around 18' in the air. Do you think predators will jump down into my yard & get the chickens? Do weasles jump?

How far sideways can they jump? There was a big branch at around 4" in diameter that extended over the yard that we cut off - how far horizontally from the end of this branch should I site the chicken yard?

Here is picture of the site.

Thanks much,
    N. Va

[​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi there! Something could possibly hang down from the branch and get onto your mesh top, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. That branch could be trimmed some if you're worried. I think the biggest problem would be them simply climbing up the 6' wall and tearing straight through the 1" fabric mesh top. Lots of things could do that, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, weasels etc. An electric fence could help limit potential ground predators from climbing over. I'd still go ahead with your location, your chickens will appreciate the shade of the tree. I would build a coop capable of keeping most predators out and lock them up every night. Then you might not even need an electric fence. Very helpful and creative graphic BTW!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    You shouldn't have a problem with that plan. Last week a racoon climbed up a 6 foot poal to get into my chicken coop, have no idea how he did it though. The poal was part of the chicken coop foundation. good luck and i don't think you should have a problem.[​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I expect that any predator that can climb the tree could be a threat. Not sure how far a bobcat would jump, but I once had a stray cat jump down of my 3rd floor balcony. I don;t know how far our it jumped; never found it, and there was nothing for it to grab onto to stop partway down. I know roofrats can and do jump distances, and while I would not consider them a predator, there are similar creatures (such as the weasel mentioned) that likely have similar abilities.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Predators can jump about 100 yards straight up and a half mile out.... at least it seems like it sometimes. But seriously, if you are worred, just trim that limb back and I think it'll be ok.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The other thing to consider is that hawks, falcons and owls can fly down, even with the tree for access [​IMG]

7. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]
    you hit the nail on the head farmboy!

8. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Thanks all for the comments.

I'm still not sure whether I'll use the fabric mesh or some type of covering for the top...if I don't use the 1" fabric I bought, where should I sell it? I imagine that craig's list would not get many takers...is there a for sale bulletin board here?

Don't think I could use hardware mesh on the top of the chicken run since we can get many feet of snow here...I suppose if I went out and banged on chicken wire that I could get the snow to fall through...2" x 4" mesh might deter possums and coons, but not weasles which are a prime concern.

I will be electrifying, using 6" and 24" hot wires, assuming the beasts will ground themselves, and then a hot wire on top with a ground wire 6" or 3" down from the top. I figure I'll need the ground wire since I'm putting up hardware mesh coated with polyester, which won't conduct very well.

Comments welcome.
    Cheers,
    N. VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by