How far would you go?

Time-Out

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
The Peak District, UK
...To pick up those hatching eggs you know you want?

Is a five hour drive pushing my luck and my OH's patience or has anyone been further? (please say yes
fl.gif
)

Considering we just had only one shipped egg make it to Day 18 and quit on us, of a breed in a color we simply can't find anywhere else? If I could get my hands on those eggs with a 5 hour drive? Fill the tank, honey and pack some snacks, we're taking a road trip!
yippiechickie.gif

I would completely do it. Esp. since we have such good hatch rates with hand-traveled eggs vs. shipped.

(Love the Betta in your avatar. Gorgeous!)

5 hours? Oh, probably. Especially if I had something else I could do while I was there.

It would depend upon how many eggs I could get. I doubt I'd do it for 4 eggs. But a couple of dozen from top bloodlines in my favorite breed? Sure, why not.

And hey, maybe while I was already there, they would sell me a couple of adult birds, too. really make the trip worth while.

I'll drive that far for a show, when I may come away with nothing to show for it.

For your hubby: what sight seeing is there in the area? What shopping? How about fishing? Give him a little extra motivation.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find in the area. It'll have to be next month, though, so I just hope they won't be mid-moult!

He knows the country better than I do and keeps telling me that he would like to take me here, show me that, visit there... So I approached him with a "Is there anywhere you'd like to take me in Devon?" *insert angelic face here* His reply was: "Whyyyyyyyyy?.... What's in Devon?" I can't get away with much! I guess I've conditioned him for it lol. Wherever we went, I'd be looking up aquatic shops in the directory.

I read him your responses and he's said we can spend the weekend there!
celebrate.gif
We might spend most of it on the farm with the chickens and the pigs.... but shhhhh don't tell him that
hide.gif

Some Vorwerk eggs that should be show quality
fl.gif
. They also have lavendar araucana (hopefully show quality too), but I might wait till next year. I don't want to push my luck... They do an 'Introduction to Pig-keeping' course (I would LOVE a miniature or kune kune) I might try to wangle myself onto early next year. Some Araucana and Cream Legbar eggs might just find their way into my bag...
idunno.gif

It looks a really nice rare-breeds farm. They don't show, but breed to standard, so I have hope the eggs should produce some quality birds. http://www.southyeofarm.co.uk/poultry/our_breeds.html

Am
I pushing my luck more by planning a trip there next year too? I'm tempted to just get a dozen of everything, but I don't want to be overrun wih lots of extra chicks we can't sell over winter.

Last year I collected a hen from 250 miles away, but it coincided with a nice weekend away (which was a couple of hundred miles further) so we just called in on the drive back and picked her up as we were heading for home. If I had a chance of good birds or a dozen eggs that I really REALLY wanted, I'd probably travel the length of the country to get them, and turn it into a mini-holiday to keep my boyfriend happy. Of course, if he didn't want to come or couldn't get the time off work, I'd just go myself. I've always liked spur-of-the-moment road trips though.

A few years ago I drove to London and back overnight to collect a huge pile of classic Volkswagen magazines and spare parts that I'd won in an eBay auction. No way it could all have been posted/couriered, so I just went to get them myself. I think that was about 14 hours and 900 miles all in. I met the guy at a service station on the M25 at 1am and we spent half an hour transferring everything from his van to mine. Must have looked exceedingly dodgy...

Quote:
Thanks for sending the link. They have LOVELY breeds and birds. Can't blame you for not wanting to take on too many birds. I would plan for a second trip. You might find something that you'll want to visit again or see more of.

What is a Kune Kune?

GYPSY07 - yes, that must have looked very dodgey!
gig.gif

A Kune Kune is the pet pig by excellence
big_smile.png
It's from New Zealand, small, and doesn't dig up the garden.

Gypsy, I'm sure you couldn't have been that different from all the other dodgy goings-on in service stations at 1am! You found yourself a willing seller, though. Not sure I'd have been as amenable... 1am!
rant.gif

You made me think, though. I didn't look for breeders in Scotland. I used to live in Surrey, so Scotland just sounds far. Five hours from here should put me nicely in Scotland. I'll have a look for some breeders oop North. Do you know of any that breed show quality Vorwerks, Araucanas or Appenzeller Spitzhaubens?

Back
Top Bottom