How far would you go?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Time-Out, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    ...To pick up those hatching eggs you know you want?

Is a five hour drive pushing my luck and my OH's patience or has anyone been further? (please say yes [​IMG] )

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Songster

Considering we just had only one shipped egg make it to Day 18 and quit on us, of a breed in a color we simply can't find anywhere else? If I could get my hands on those eggs with a 5 hour drive? Fill the tank, honey and pack some snacks, we're taking a road trip! [​IMG]

I would completely do it. Esp. since we have such good hatch rates with hand-traveled eggs vs. shipped.

(Love the Betta in your avatar. Gorgeous!)

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    5 hours? Oh, probably. Especially if I had something else I could do while I was there.

It would depend upon how many eggs I could get. I doubt I'd do it for 4 eggs. But a couple of dozen from top bloodlines in my favorite breed? Sure, why not.

And hey, maybe while I was already there, they would sell me a couple of adult birds, too. really make the trip worth while.

I'll drive that far for a show, when I may come away with nothing to show for it.

For your hubby: what sight seeing is there in the area? What shopping? How about fishing? Give him a little extra motivation.

4. Time-Out

Time-Out Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Thanks, I'll see what I can find in the area. It'll have to be next month, though, so I just hope they won't be mid-moult!

He knows the country better than I do and keeps telling me that he would like to take me here, show me that, visit there... So I approached him with a "Is there anywhere you'd like to take me in Devon?" *insert angelic face here* His reply was: "Whyyyyyyyyy?.... What's in Devon?" I can't get away with much! I guess I've conditioned him for it lol. Wherever we went, I'd be looking up aquatic shops in the directory.

I read him your responses and he's said we can spend the weekend there! [​IMG] We might spend most of it on the farm with the chickens and the pigs.... but shhhhh don't tell him that [​IMG]

5. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Songster

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Songster

Quote:Woohoo! [​IMG] Mums the word. [​IMG] By the way, what are you looking to get while you're there?

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Some Vorwerk eggs that should be show quality [​IMG] . They also have lavendar araucana (hopefully show quality too), but I might wait till next year. I don't want to push my luck... They do an 'Introduction to Pig-keeping' course (I would LOVE a miniature or kune kune) I might try to wangle myself onto early next year. Some Araucana and Cream Legbar eggs might just find their way into my bag... [​IMG]

It looks a really nice rare-breeds farm. They don't show, but breed to standard, so I have hope the eggs should produce some quality birds. http://www.southyeofarm.co.uk/poultry/our_breeds.html

Am
    I pushing my luck more by planning a trip there next year too? I'm tempted to just get a dozen of everything, but I don't want to be overrun wih lots of extra chicks we can't sell over winter.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Last year I collected a hen from 250 miles away, but it coincided with a nice weekend away (which was a couple of hundred miles further) so we just called in on the drive back and picked her up as we were heading for home. If I had a chance of good birds or a dozen eggs that I really REALLY wanted, I'd probably travel the length of the country to get them, and turn it into a mini-holiday to keep my boyfriend happy. Of course, if he didn't want to come or couldn't get the time off work, I'd just go myself. I've always liked spur-of-the-moment road trips though.

A few years ago I drove to London and back overnight to collect a huge pile of classic Volkswagen magazines and spare parts that I'd won in an eBay auction. No way it could all have been posted/couriered, so I just went to get them myself. I think that was about 14 hours and 900 miles all in. I met the guy at a service station on the M25 at 1am and we spent half an hour transferring everything from his van to mine. Must have looked exceedingly dodgy...

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Songster

Quote:Thanks for sending the link. They have LOVELY breeds and birds. Can't blame you for not wanting to take on too many birds. I would plan for a second trip. You might find something that you'll want to visit again or see more of.

What is a Kune Kune?

GYPSY07 - yes, that must have looked very dodgey! [​IMG]

10. Time-Out

Time-Out Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    A Kune Kune is the pet pig by excellence [​IMG] It's from New Zealand, small, and doesn't dig up the garden.

Gypsy, I'm sure you couldn't have been that different from all the other dodgy goings-on in service stations at 1am! You found yourself a willing seller, though. Not sure I'd have been as amenable... 1am! [​IMG]

You made me think, though. I didn't look for breeders in Scotland. I used to live in Surrey, so Scotland just sounds far. Five hours from here should put me nicely in Scotland. I'll have a look for some breeders oop North. Do you know of any that breed show quality Vorwerks, Araucanas or Appenzeller Spitzhaubens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by