How Farmers Hatched Eggs Back in the Old Country

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Equine_Angel, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Equine_Angel

Equine_Angel Songster

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    Hi Everyone,

I was talking with my mom one day and she was explaining to me how some farmers around her, when she was young and living in Croatia, would hatch some of their chicken eggs. Apparently they would set it in a pile of horse manure and make sure the eggs were nicely nestled in it. Which actually makes sense as horse manure does give off an immense amount of heat for a long period of time.

However, I wonder what the chicks thought when they got out of their shells...what the muck?!!!! [​IMG]

Just thought I would share what it was like back in the day of no incubators...we are all so lucky!

E_A

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    my great grand ma told me that back in the day they used chickens go figure [​IMG]

4. atarunomiko

atarunomiko Chicken no Miko

Apr 15, 2009
    Los Angeles
    This post made me think of Australian Brush Turkeys. They lay their eggs in communal compost heaps. The males turn the heaps and add or take away material to keep them at the right temperature.

Interestingly, like some turtles and other reptiles, the sex of the chicks is determined by the temperature (males when cooler, females when warmer). If only someone could breed this trait into chickens or other domestic poultry... No one would ever have to go through the heartbreak of having to rehome a beloved, mis-sexed rooster, and we would no longer have to worry about commercial operations cruelly "disposing" of males in the name of efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    [​IMG]

6. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    No wonder all I get are Female Black Copper Marans LOL
    Our bator always hits a weird temperature fluctuations by hitting 106 degrees!!
    We've hatched out 100+ and have only had ONE single MAYBE cockeral show up... Crazy!!!

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:[​IMG] Can't be. That's why I only hatch out Male Black Copper Marans! Cause of those darm temp spikes!

wanna share?

8. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:WHAT?????

THAT'S CRAZY!!!! :)

9. That's really interesting because this lady I know told me that her friend had hens that laid their eggs in the manure heap... After a few weeks she'd have a whole bunch of unexplained chicks running around! [​IMG]
    Frankly I didn't believe her, because she tells me lots of crazy stuff (most of which I don't believe). I don't see how it's possible, for a little chick to be born in a pile of poo [​IMG]

10. babyblue

babyblue Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    my spouse used disposible hand warmers and a wheelbarrow of poop to unfreeze a drain pipe. work after a few hours:idunno

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: