How fast can a raccoon break through hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fischerzacdc, Jun 21, 2011.

1. fischerzacdc

fischerzacdc New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    After losing over half of my flock to raccoons in one night, I upped the security of my run by adding a layer of 1/2'' hardware cloth over the two layers of chicken wire. If a determined raccoon were to try to break through this, how long would it take? An hour? 30 minutes?I'm not really sure how fast/strong raccoons are.

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] Raccoons, like any other predator, don't want to work TOO hard for dinner. I used the U shaped nails, they are called poultry clips, to fasten the hardware cloth to our run. If it's just stapled, it may be too easy for a coon to just pull off. We never had problems with our rabbits when I was a child, and we haven't had problems with the chickens so far, fingers crossed!

3. fischerzacdc

fischerzacdc New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    that is a great idea....I currently have it stapled, but as long as our coop makes it through tonight, I'm headed to home depot tomorrow morning [​IMG]

Thanks a bunch

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes use U nails...staples can be ripped out fairly easily by a pair of coons.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    also bring your wire cloth under the chicken wire and out away from the run about 18" - 2' and bury it...that will stop the from digging under...do it all the way around.

6. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I don't believe a raccoon would be able to tear through 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I do agree with those that tell you to upgrade from staples to U nails though. They'll be able to pull it free if it's just stapled, no problem.

-S

7. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Properly secured a racoon will not get through 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I had it on an aviary with our parrots and use it on our run and coop and never had a problem with any predator.

8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Better than staples or clips, screw on wooden batons over the edge of the cloth, much stronger and they don't have a lose edge to work on.

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I just lost 14 growing babies to some nasty raccoon(s) who ripped the hardware cloth right off the cage.

If you staple the hardware cloth, reinforce by placing a strip of wood at the staple line and nail it to the frame.

Good luck.

Oh, and did I say that I HATE raccoons... ?

10. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

texas gal! hi from San Antonio! Shiner is one good looking roo!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by