How frequently to offer water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickiegrrl, Jan 6, 2014.

1. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    My girls are all locked in the coop for the next two days. It's -23F right now and I don't want them out in the run. I can't leave their water in the coop because they will spill it. Would offering them water every 2 hours during the day be enough? Should I bring it to them every hour? I appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this!
    Thank you!!

2. RichtmanRanch

RichtmanRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    why will it spill? Cause they will knock it over? Could you elevate the water by placing it on top of like a cement block or like a dog dish tuned upside down? In my run I have ours in the warmer months on top of a cement block and it rarely spills, only when something startles them of if the water gets too low. I would think if you offer it every few hours you my be ok. Hope this helps. It is that cold here too! So ready for warmer temps. Good Luck

3. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Thank you! Yes, I'm worried that they'll spill it. My Lorp loves to perch on anything. She perches on top of the 10# feeder when I put it in the coop. When I put the water bowl in the coop, she puts a foot on the edge and I have to hold it so she won't tip it. She's a goober.

I'll shoot for every 2-3 hours. I'm going to take 1/2 of a butternut squash out to them in a few minutes. I tell you, it's worse than finding things to keep the kids busy!!

4. RichtmanRanch

RichtmanRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    I hear ya. I like to put veggies in a suet feeder, keeps em busy for a while. I also realize iceberg lettuce may not be all the nutritional, but they had a good time pecking a head of that apart too.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try a heavier water container, such as a 2 gallon galvanized sitting on a metal heater, or a heavy heated plastic waterer. In winter, I use 2 electric dog bowls and raise them up to shoulder height of the chickens. They get the occasional pine shaving in them, but keeping them full, they never get tipped over. Chickens should drink every 2 hours, but it would get time-consuming for me to water them that often, and not every one will drink at that time due to pecking order issues.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Can you put the waterer under something to prevent them from being able to perch on it? I'm thinking a small plastic table or something similar. You might have to secure the table to keep them from knocking it over, though. Bungee cords and zip ties are your friend!

7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Use a deep container with a brick or some big stones in the bottom. That way it will be too heavy for them to tip over, even if they perch on it, and they only need a couple of inches of water above the level of the brick for them to be able to drink.

You need to be careful about restricting water, even in the winter, as they need plenty to digest their food and also for when they lay - eggs contain a lot of liquid!

8. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I could take water out to them every hour if need be. I don't really have a lot going on right now. School is closed because of the cold so we're all home. I make sure that everyone drinks. We only have 4 girls and they love community drinking. I just leave it in until everyone walks away and goes back on the roost or doing whatever. We're only supposed to be this cold until Wednesday morning. I like to go out and check on them frequently, anyway. Thank you!

9. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Our coop is pretty small with only 4 girls in it. I may use your and KayTee's advice and try to rig something up. Guess I should have figured all of this out in the fall when it wasn't freezing, eh? Thank you!!

10. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I have one of those black, rubber bowls and a cinderblock. I can try to figure something out with it. Hopefully Flora will lose the fascination of perching on the lip of the bowl if there's a brick in it. LOL! Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by