How Friendly are Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fawkes, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I have head someone say that if you raise them and spend a lot of time with them they are as friendly as chickens, if not friendlier. Is this true? I would love to have 2 as pets (a male and a female, I presume?).

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    You'd need more females than males I think. Other than that, no, I have never seen a tamer quail althought they ARE easier to catch and very very cute. Keep in mind though they also aren't as intelligent as chickens and cannot freerange [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Coturnix are really friendly. The chickens of the quail world. African Harlequins are second on the list for friendly.

4. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Thanks! I'm glad they are friendly, I'd love to have a playhouse or shed for them to live in, that way I'd be able to interact with them.

Would 2 females work then? I may get more than 2 but not sure yet.

How old can you sex them?

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Depending on the variety, the golds and browns are the easiest the sex, oh and the roux dilutes/fawn variation. They can be sexed by their color at around 4-5 weeks. Maturing around 6-7 weeks, you can vent sex adults. A nice set up would be 3 females to one male.

6. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Hmm, I think I may get 3 females, 1 male then. I'll probably first get 2 day old chicks and then adopt/buy the rest as 4-5 wk old sexed chicks, so I can make sure I don't get more than 1 male. Well, unless I have bad luck and both of the day old chicks turn out to be males.

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i got my first 5(1m/4f) at 4 weeks, that was 2 months ago, as i see now, one of them always comes in when i am egg picking, she kinda looks at me funny. She even lets me reach out and pet her without moving, other then that, they don't like being messed with to much. But, i just hatched some myself, hoping they will be more friendly

8. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I think they are really awesome. Docile and not afraid, but not necessarily friendly, they just don't run away. I can pick mine up and they wont struggle like a pullet or chick would.

Like with any animal, familiarity and spending lots of time really helps any of them get used to and not run away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by