how hard are golden pheasant compared to ringnecks

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hey, I was thinking for next year I would raise a pair of juvenile golden pheasant from MM. How much space and how hard are the to raise. I have seen a couple before and they don't have very big places to live.
    ticks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The more room you have, the happier they will be. They like to roost high, and need ground cover also. I think they are much easier to raise than ringnecks. They don't fight like them, and are extremely hearty.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I will have 5 ringnecks by then in a coop and I cant have anymore coops! could I use a converted rabbit hutch for two golden pheasant?

4. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    No, they need room, and even if they survive, the tail feathers will be horrible. BTW, I can sell you some next year much cheaper than they can.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    could they live with ringnecks or would the roosters fight?

6. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I doubt it unless it was a very large pen. Ringnecks are much bigger, and much more aggressive. Goldens stay pretty small, and don't fight like ringnecks. My guess is it would be very hard on the goldens, but I have never tried them together either.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    thanks I think I will just stick with the ringnecks [​IMG]:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by