How hard is it really to incubate eggs?

csaiz100

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
New Mexico
I am sitting on the fence as to whether or not to buy an incubator. All the talk about temp, humidity, turning and all the stuff is pretty intimidating. So here is my question, how hard is it really for a first timer
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Not really hard. Anxiety provoking! Yeah! Bet you can't do it just once! Read all the info on hatching in the Learning center. Then you can decide if it's something you want to tackle. I'd not miss it for the world. To hold a warm egg in my hands, and peer into it with a flash light... watch that little chick dancing around in there. Absolutely priceless!

I am sitting on the fence as to whether or not to buy an incubator. All the talk about temp, humidity, turning and all the stuff is pretty intimidating. So here is my question, how hard is it really for a first timer
idunno.gif
$80 LG still air? Not very easy
$380 Brinsea? Idiot proof

This year was my first time. I started with the LG, and had horrendous results, but other people do just fine with them. What are your short and long term goals, and how much time do you have to babysit the incubator? If you are wanting to hatch a few for fun, or just run a few batches, spend a little less on the styrofoam, but I recommend the Hovabator over the LG. If this is something you will do over and over, and don't have time to babysit the incubator the first time, then a Brinsea is incredibly simple. Either way you go, practice makes perfect. You will learn more with each hatch

Not really hard. Anxiety provoking! Yeah! Bet you can't do it just once! Read all the info on hatching in the Learning center. Then you can decide if it's something you want to tackle. I'd not miss it for the world. To hold a warm egg in my hands, and peer into it with a flash light... watch that little chick dancing around in there. Absolutely priceless!
True...warning:it is addicting and when you see other people's chicks you want to put more eggs in the bator. Those 5 chickens you planned to have become 50 and then you're still not satisfied...lol

$80 LG still air? Not very easy
$380 Brinsea? Idiot proof

This year was my first time. I started with the LG, and had horrendous results, but other people do just fine with them. What are your short and long term goals, and how much time do you have to babysit the incubator? If you are wanting to hatch a few for fun, or just run a few batches, spend a little less on the styrofoam, but I recommend the Hovabator over the LG. If this is something you will do over and over, and don't have time to babysit the incubator the first time, then a Brinsea is incredibly simple. Either way you go, practice makes perfect. You will learn more with each hatch

Absolutely makes a difference what your bator is. I use an older model Little Giant and I am happy with it, but it's more work. More monitoring for temp fluncuations especially if you don't have secure spot that has steady temps and no drafts. I found the perfect spot for mine, so it holdds fairly well, but it can be an issue. My last hatch was 13/16 that went into lockdown.
Off to look at different incubators. Guess my best bet would be Tractor Supply? Can you fit Turkey Eggs in an incubator?
Tractor Supply (at least ours) doesn't really have a variety to look at. Even online I think they carry basically two models. LG and Farm innovators pro. Online is a good source for variety. You can fit turkey eggs, just teh bigger the eggs the less that can be placed.

My answer to your question is while first time hatchers often do have problems with successful hatches, it doesn't have to be that way. If you read (especially our hatching 101 page here on byc) and understand the why's (especially humidity) you can have a successful hatch from the beginning. Just don't go by the incubator's manuals for proper info on how to hatch...usually they are wrong even with temp. They are good for info about their product but not on how to for temp and humidity. Never rely on one unchecked thermometer or the thermometers built in to the bators even if they are new. And I'd recommend no matter what brand of bator you get you go for a forced air or get the fan kit to put into the still airs.

I think the bottom line is research your incubators and ask people who incubate the pros and cons of their particular brand of incubator. Then get the best one you can afford. A good incubator will make the job so much easier.
The other option if you want to raise your own chicks but don't want to incubate is to get a few hens of a breed that is known to go broody.

Last edited:
Looking on e-bay - very confusing, so what is the best incubator to get looking at a budget of give or take 150 Dollars?

Looking on e-bay - very confusing, so what is the best incubator to get looking at a budget of give or take 150 Dollars?
Well, I have heard decent things about the Hoverbator. As SC said I would go with that before the newer lg models as the new LGs have been getting awful reviews, at least on here. This one has the whole kit and caboodle, it is a still air but it comes with the fan kit to put in it: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-deluxe-combo-kit.html?gclid=CNnWiqbQoMQCFS1o7AodeDQAFg

If you don't feel the need to have the forced air, you can get it w/out the fan kit:http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-starter-combo-kit.html?gclid=CMOShf_QoMQCFUlp7Aod32cAKQ

This is the forced air that TSC has at a reasonable price, but I am not sure what the opinions of it are:http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/farm-innovators-pro-series-circulated-air-incubator

Plenty of people on here also use the Janoel brand incubators.

The Brinsea are the cadillacs of the bator they are nice and no fuss, but comes with a high pricetag.

Back
Top Bottom