How hard is it to rehome unwanted birds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I know it probably depends, but I would still like opinions on this.

Thanks!

2. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Depends on how picky you are about their future home.

If you just want to slap them on Craigslist for $15, they go quickly (at least here...); but if you want them to live in a specific setting or don't want them to be eaten, you will have a harder time.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

you can also post at your feed store.

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Like you said it all depends on a lot of different things. What kind they are, how old they are, are they laying and all that. Most of the time I sell my baby muscovies at 5 dollars. My mixes are only 3 dollars. If I wait till they are 6 months old they are between 8-10 a peice for both the mixes and the muscovies. And then if I wait till they are a year old (which I have only done once) i sold my trio(muscovies) for 45 dollars. So $15 a duck. I hope this helps a little. Im not sure how hard it is to sell them where you live but I know here in Missouri its not to terribly hard.

5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Many areas have places where you can take unwanted birds, here in Western Washington there is a feed store that will take them in and then sell to a new home.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:THATS A HORRIBLE IDEA REALEASING A DUCK?if its a duck you took care of imagine you dropping it oof in a pond or lake you dont know seeing the person who took care of you drive away and never see them again?And so many predators and mean ducks nipping at you and treating you like dirt?
    Postcard from your duck
    "Dear Mom and Dad, . This is your duck, I just wanted to send you an update since I last saw you. Remember that day you said it was time for me to be grown up and you took me to the really safe neighborhood and left me? I remember when you drove away from that strange place waving from the car, I chased after you but my legs just weren't fast enough. I was so scared but I want to show you how good I am so you'll want to come visit me. I keep thinking I have done something wrong but I know your just really busy. I am really learning a lot so hopefully I can come home soon. . Well, my first lesson as a grown up was that all dogs aren't nice. I know our dog at home was always around so I thought I could trust this one too. I soon learned a lesson in what pain was and I thought I knew was being scared was but boy I was wrong. . I learned if you stick your neck out to help someone it just might get cut off, or in my case just lose all its skin and some bones too. I am tough though mom and dad. I don't want you to worry about me. I am a good duck, if you come back for me I promise to always be a good duck. . I was hurting pretty bad but I hid from everyone. I knew you were coming back from me. I waited for three days bleeding and in pain and I am not sure why you haven't come back. I haven't gotten to eat either, but I am a good duck. When i go home with you I wont be any trouble I promise. . Its day 4 Mom and dad I tried. I did the best I could but I couldn't hold out any longer. The other ducks chased me away and passed out from pain and starvation. I woke up in the hospital and I struggled to get back to you. I told the lady my mom is coming back for me, she promised to visit every day and feed me and take care of me. Just sending this note in case you come back and cant find me. I sure miss you mom and dad but I think I am safe now and it sure feels good to be loved. (whatever was in that pill helped a lot too! ) Sincerely, Your Pekin"
    By Jennifer Gordon
    THATS SO SAD ONLY AN EVIL PERSON WOULD DO THAT!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The way you advertise them can also help. Advertising boys as " A QUIET BACKYARD PET - NO LOUD QUACKING" Is sometimes enough for me to sell off some extra young drakes. Find yourself some quirky way to draw attention to them as being special- not " extra - or unwanted"

" Superfluous to your breeding requirements" is a good way to say that you have extra without something thinking they will be able to talk the price down and that they are still quality birds.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

9. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    pekinduck<3er :

Quote:THATS A HORRIBLE IDEA REALEASING A DUCK?if its a duck you took care of imagine you dropping it oof in a pond or lake you dont know seeing the person who took care of you drive away and never see them again?And so many predators and mean ducks nipping at you and treating you like dirt?
    Postcard from your duck
    "Dear Mom and Dad, . This is your duck, I just wanted to send you an update since I last saw you. Remember that day you said it was time for me to be grown up and you took me to the really safe neighborhood and left me? I remember when you drove away from that strange place waving from the car, I chased after you but my legs just weren't fast enough. I was so scared but I want to show you how good I am so you'll want to come visit me. I keep thinking I have done something wrong but I know your just really busy. I am really learning a lot so hopefully I can come home soon. . Well, my first lesson as a grown up was that all dogs aren't nice. I know our dog at home was always around so I thought I could trust this one too. I soon learned a lesson in what pain was and I thought I knew was being scared was but boy I was wrong. . I learned if you stick your neck out to help someone it just might get cut off, or in my case just lose all its skin and some bones too. I am tough though mom and dad. I don't want you to worry about me. I am a good duck, if you come back for me I promise to always be a good duck. . I was hurting pretty bad but I hid from everyone. I knew you were coming back from me. I waited for three days bleeding and in pain and I am not sure why you haven't come back. I haven't gotten to eat either, but I am a good duck. When i go home with you I wont be any trouble I promise. . Its day 4 Mom and dad I tried. I did the best I could but I couldn't hold out any longer. The other ducks chased me away and passed out from pain and starvation. I woke up in the hospital and I struggled to get back to you. I told the lady my mom is coming back for me, she promised to visit every day and feed me and take care of me. Just sending this note in case you come back and cant find me. I sure miss you mom and dad but I think I am safe now and it sure feels good to be loved. (whatever was in that pill helped a lot too! ) Sincerely, Your Pekin"
    By Jennifer Gordon
    THATS SO SAD ONLY AN EVIL PERSON WOULD DO THAT!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Or a Dingleberry. LOL.​

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I know drakes are hard to seel. I had to sell 10 Holderreads drakes TSQ and couldnt give them away. I had them advertised on Craigs list along with a few females, and babies. I never got 1 call and had to take thm the sale inpairs. Some weeks Igot good money and the last lot I took I only got 3 a bird. Its disheartening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by