How hard to rehome a cockerel?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Beezer, May 23, 2016.

1. Beezer

Beezer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Conway, AR
    My Coop
    I was wondering how difficult it is to rehome a cockeral if you get one by mistake. Does anyone have experience with this? Did you find many takers?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There is no easy single answer to this question. It depends on where you live, if you are giving it away or selling it, whether or not you are going to be fussy about who takes your birds or just don't ask questions. The personality of the bird may also make a difference. I live in a rural area. Anyone who wants chickens already has them. Sometimes someone may want a replacement rooster if theirs dies or something, but no one is going to pay much for one. Extra roosters on our farm get put in the freezer. I would guess that that's the case with most people around here. As I said - we are rural. Our chickens are a food source, not pets.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    If you advertise them as "to pet home only" it's near impossible. If the bird is breeding quality, it is marginally easier to rehome it. "Free for meat or pet" goes fastest.

But it still all depends on your area.

4. Beezer

Beezer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Conway, AR
    My Coop
    Thanks for the responses. I'm not opposed to cockerels being eaten, I just don't have the know how or extra space to raise and process meat birds myself. I'm in a college town in an otherwise rural area. My neighborhood is considered urban, but if you drive15- 20 minutes in any direction, it's mostly farmland. A lot of people keep chickens around here. The city ordinances are a little unclear as to whether it's legal to keep a rooster, but common sense is telling me I shouldn't with neighbors as close as mine are. Someone nearby has one though; I can hear it crowing when I walk to work in the morning. :)

5. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I got rid of ten at once and gave them all to the same person. I am opposed to people eating them, but I didn't ask questions, and I don't think about what happened to them. It is very hard, at least in my area, to get people to take roosters, unless they're for eating purposes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by