1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how hard would it be to introduce a new chicken?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mini_Dachshund, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Mini_Dachshund

Mini_Dachshund New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Ohio
    My chickens are around 4 or 5 months old, i have 6 leghorns and 10 bantams, and one rooster. The other day my fav. silkie hen was killed by a hawk. i know someone who has a few silkies around the same age as my chicken, and i'd like to replace my hen. would it be hard to add a new chicken to my flock?
    Thanks for you time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Short answer- Yes. If possible get more than one new chicken, 2 or 3 will be company and comfort. Let them live behind a wire divider for a week or two so that everyone can see each other and get used to each other without getting hurt. If possible, let them freerange together so that there will be plenty of room and spots to hide and run away. After a week or two you can move them in together as long as the new chickens are at least 5 or 6 weeks old and can hold their own. There will be drama and fussing and fighting, it's inevitable. Don't interfere unless someone is really getting hurt, they need to work it out.

Good luck!

3. Mini_Dachshund

Mini_Dachshund New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Ohio
    is it possible, if i take it slow, to only get one?

4. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    first anytime you get new chickens they should be quaranteened from your flock for a couple weeks to make sure it does not bring in new diseases, and the easyiest way to introduce a new chicken to your flock is to put it in the coop at night with all lights off,and completety dark,as most chickens when they see daylight assume the chickens that are there now must have been there the night before and therefore get along fine with the new bird i have used this method exclusively with great success

5. Mini_Dachshund

Mini_Dachshund New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks for the Help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by