How have you displayed your first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm hoping the first egg we get is a beautiful blue one that I can display in a shadow box....now, a white egg just wouldn't have the same effect [​IMG]

How have you displayed your first egg (s) or any of your eggs? When I was a kid my mom had a chicken/duck kitchen. She had a collection of old
    Planter's Peanuts jars. She used to put blown out brown eggs in them.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I have a low sided crystal bowl in my window sill in my kitchen with blown out eggs in it. If I know who laid it, they have the chicken's name and the date written on the side.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    That's real sweet [​IMG]

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I saved the first eggs from one of my EE pullets last year. I blew them out. Some were made into ornaments, and some are in a wire egg basket above my sink.

5. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    over-easy [​IMG]

6. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Awwww! These are such sweet ideas. I was just going to display mine in a frying pan over medium high![​IMG]

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:thats what we did delish!

8. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    It didn't occur to me to do anything other than admire them before eating them, but a coworker was telling me yesterday that her mom would keep a basket with a blown out egg from each one of her hens. I thought that was a neat idea - might have to do it myself.

9. Rausch hens

Rausch hens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Wow, I never thought about saving my first egg... I just got my first Comet egg a few days ago and still have it in the fridge. I love the idea of making an ornament or something. Very cool ideas and the kids would probably love making something. Thanks.

10. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    I did not preserve mine to be displayed but I have a photo of it that will last for a long long long time.
    Here it is.
    [​IMG]
    bottom pic, the one on the right is a store bought egg (large) for size reference
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by