How have you helped an injured leg?

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
My pullet was stepped on by a goat while she was sunbathing in some hay.
I thought it would heal with 2-3 days in isolation.
She has been in isolation (a cat carrier) for 9 days now- no change.
She doesn't put any weight on her leg, and holds it close to her body.
I sat her in my lap tonight to try and give her a good once over to see what is wrong.
I can't see anything apparent with the leg (nothing obvious). BUT I found a hard lump on her back, like under her wing. Same side. I'm assuming its where the hoof stepped on her. It doesnt feel squishy so I dont think it needs draining. It is hard. She didnt seem to mind me inspecting her.
I just dont know what to do. Ive put her in a small carrier, so she doesnt try and move around too much. When I let her out tonight to see if she could walk, she is still limping heavily, only touching down the bad leg for a quick second...and then she immediately tried to fly and roost on something about 3 feet high. So I dont want to put her back with the flock/and goats.
Should I bandage? wouldn't even know where to start....
Any advice?? Anyone been through this? Should I assume she is in isolation for another month or two? Should I make her habitat bigger? Giving her cuddles and treats and she has a handsome rooster in the room with her so she has company.

Was she actually able to fly and land on the something that was about 3' high?

I would try to limit her activity but put her near the goats and flock so she's not so isolated. A separated bird often has trouble fitting back in with the flock.

Limiting activity may help her heal - injuries depending on how bad can take a good while. I would not bandage anything.

Not trying to be vague, but unless you get an xray to see if there's a break somewhere or you see open wounds/sores, usually the best thing you can is give the bird time and make sure they are eating/drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom