How heat tolerant are chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by my2boysteacher, Jun 6, 2011.

1. my2boysteacher

my2boysteacher Chillin' With My Peeps

I did my research regarding heat lamps and chicks, so I know how warm they need to be, but how warm is too warm?
    My BO chicks are 5 weeks old and I have started putting them out in the coop during the day, but today is supposed to be 95 and humid. Should I put them back in the brooder in the garage, or is it okay for them to be out in that temperature?
    Thanks!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine can't handle that heat. I have the coop in the garage, so I am able to close everything up and keep it about 10 degree's cooler or so. I actually brought the older 3 in the house because my brahma was panting. They are in the kitchen just about to take a nap. The chickens can handle the cold weather much better then the heat.

3. my2boysteacher

Thanks, we'll take them in. [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have my 5 wk old chicks in their coop. Yesterday the high here was 98. I do have shade for all of my birds and sprinklers or misters going for them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. my2boysteacher

Like yours, our coop has plenty of shade. I have never heard of a mister before, is that a special thing for chickens-where do you get it?

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It went to a hundred degrees even here yesterday. It's gone to 97-98 about half a dozen days before that (not all at once) already this year. All of my birds have weathered the heat just fine. They weren't happy about it, but neither was I when I was out there moving their tractors, filling their waterers and feeders, and cleaning their brooders!

Chicks and chickens need three things to get through the heat. Plenty of clean, fresh water, good shade, and adequate air flow. This time of year once it heats up for the day I unplug all of my brooder lights so as not to make it even hotter. I've got eight day old chicks, two and three week old poults in the brooders right now. The grow out pens have seven week old poults and eight week old chicks. So long as I make sure they don't run out of water they do OK.

7. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Quote:A mister isn't for chicks. We have a big one around our patio. It's just something that sprays a fine mist of water. It's sort of like a sprinkler but with a finer mist. It cools the air temp by several degrees. I use it a lot here.

8. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:where did you get your mister from.. trying to find the best price and brand..

)O(
    Pink

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had the misters for a long time and actually my husband bought them. Not sure where he got them.

10. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    I bought my mister at Lowe's there are many different price ranges and types I just bought one that is made to go around a patio umbrella I think it is 10 feet long and just clips on.

EDIT: It was about $25.00 for the complete kit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by