how high can a chicken coop be off the ground?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chick_magnet, May 27, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    well my dad and i built a chicken coop that is 8'x6'and 4' high. it is about 4' off the ground. I currently have 16 chicks in the coop right now is that enough room for all of them to roost when they are adult. My other question is being 4' off the ground do i need to build a ladder for them to walk up. I've heard that chickens hate to fly? also my chick are 4 weeks right now all i am feeding them is chick starter is that okay? do i need to give them grits?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I don't know your exact location, but in my area, off the ground would be a plus. But having no access to the ground at all would almost seem cruel. It is in their nature to scratch and search for bugs and seeds and they will tear up whatever grass and weeds they can. I would add a little run for them when you see fit, surrounding the coop. If you do that, you won't have to worry about not having enough space for them........unless you get the sickness that most of us have and go completely chicken crazy.
    Get some crushed oyster shells and throw a handful where they can mess around with it about once or twice a month.

3. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    I would suggest a ramp. They don't hate to fly but they don't love it either, especially as they get heavy.

If they are in the coop, i would give them some grit just to get their gizzard working. Chick starter is ok but you might want to move to finisher. The protein percentages aren't that much different. Its a big experiment so try things out.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I just posted this same question earlier in the week, as the entrace to mine is about 3 1/2 feet up. The concensus was that a ramp is best, partially because they can get hurt flying down from it, especially if they get a little 'chunky'. So I will be working on that soon. And I would say you definately need a run area unless they are going to free-range all day.

5. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    thanks for all the replies. and yes they will be free ranging all day. they are only in the coop at night to rooster. now are the oyster shell real fine? I can get oyster shell for free but i'll have to beat it myself

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    From my understanding, they don't need oyster shell till they are laying eggs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm new, too.

7. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    THe oyster shells can act as grit for younger (non-laying) birds, too. NOt sure about using "recycled" shells - I'm guessing you'd have to do a pretty thorough cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by