How high can a chicken fly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaygrim, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jaygrim

jaygrim Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi I'm new here and am a first time chicken owner. I was thinking of getting two or three Warrens but I'm now I'm worried I have a 5 foot fence in one section of my garden will they be able to get over it?

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I have a 6 foot fence (chain link dog pen) and I saw my cochin hen come within a foot of the top! Even at 6 feet, I have to put netting across the top of the pen, to keep them in and predators out. I have a Broad winged hawk who expresses great interest in my birds from the tree tops.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have large fowl hens that can clear my 6 foot fence. Not all of them, just a select brave few. My banty... once watched something scare her and she must have flown 30 feet across and 9 feet up to get onto the roof of the coop. Never seen her do anything like that since... but it's possible if they're so inclined.

Could you put netting over your garden?

4. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I've seen mine fly up on top of their coop...around 6ft.

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I have some young sebrights and they can fly like pheasants at 8 weeks of age

6. jaygrim

jaygrim Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    I could probably put some netting over that part of the fence, Thanks for the advice.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Flying depends on the breed. Some large heavy breeds can't get high at all. I once saw a Leghorn about 7' or 8' off the ground, flying straight across, after being frightened. I'm not familiar with Warrens.

8. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I've posted this very same topic two months ago..lol Apparently they could fly pretty high. A couple of people said their chickens would roost 15 feet up in the trees..ikes! If your going to free-range wing clip the right side only of their flight feathers [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

One wing only.......Pop

[​IMG]

10. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Duh..... I didn't think to clip the flight feathers. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by